• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Does size matter?

Mead_Monster

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 13, 2013
Colorado Springs, CO
Howdy Ladies and Gents,

Hopefully the title got your attention. I am wanting to make 5 one gallon batches to test out different yeasts. Unfortunately I do not have any small buckets in which to do the comparisons. I do have enough 5 gallon buckets. Would a 5 gallon bucket be too large? I remember reading, somewhere, that there should not be a lot of room between the must and the top of the fermenter container. or does it really matter?

If it does not matter then I can get started this weekend. If it does then I will have to find the correct sized buckets and don't know when I will get started. Or is an open container ferment good enough?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Maylar

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
May 23, 2015
Connecticut
An open container covered with cheesecloth to keep out nasty things is OK for primary. But once you rack off the lees you'll want to keep headspace to a minimum. And a 5 gallon bucket just sounds wrong for a 1 gallon batch.
I've read that you can get small food grade buckets cheap (free) if you ask at a bakery or deli counter at the grocery store. Though I've never tried that myself.
Ideally you'd want to start with more than a gallon, say 5 quarts, and rack to a 1 gallon glass jug with an airlock. Glass jugs can be found even at Walmart, but I bought a case of 4 from an online home brew supplier.

Mead_Monster

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 13, 2013
Colorado Springs, CO
Thanks Maylar for the reply. I was only going to use the buckets for the primary and have numerous "1 gallon" glass jars with appropriate lids and air locks. The problem with using the jars for the primary is that they do not allow for 1 gallon plus head space for any foam. You might be able to get a gallon of liquid in the glass containers but it will be completely full to the brim, I've measured.
So, I suppose, though I probably could have presented my question a bit more succinctly, you pretty much answered my question anyway.. Primarying a one gallon batch in a five gallon bucket is not really a big deal and head space is more critical in the secondary and subsequent rackings. Correct?

Thanks again for your reply.