• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Dry Mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

philt

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 17, 2022
Birmingham, UK
Hi guys,

I've been brewing beer for several years but fancied trying mead as the mother in law keeps bees. Have just bottled my first two 1 gallon batches, one being my take on JAOM but using Safale US-05 and the other being a tart cherry melomel fermented with an original Kveik strain (Ebbegarden).
I'm extremely happy with how they've turned out, I've done nothing to backsweeten, I like things dry and tart (big fan of Lambic beer) and the cherry one reminds me of a dry tannic red wine but slightly tarter.
Question is, why is so much commercial mead so aggressively sweet? Can't stand most of the stuff I've tried. Anyone know of any UK producers that make a dryer mead? Do I have weird taste? I would quite happily sip a chilled dry mead on a hot day in place of a white wine. I plan to make my next batch along these lines but will it be too bland without the orange and spices in the JAOM recipe?

Cheers!

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, as well-constructed as some of the meaderies in North America can make a dry mead, sweet still seems to sell better. But dry is starting to catch on, you'd probably do better to search out whichever meaderies are near you and see if they have any dry offerings. Session (beer-strength) meads are becoming a thing here too. Maybe it's the opposite of ciders, North American hard ciders are notoriously sweet whereas I understand the UK and other European ones tend to be nice and tart and dry.

jorgemoares

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2022
Argentina
Hi guys,

I've been brewing beer for several years but fancied trying mead as the mother in law keeps bees. Have just bottled my first two 1 gallon batches, one being my take on JAOM but using Safale US-05 and the other being a tart cherry melomel fermented with an original Kveik strain (Ebbegarden).
I'm extremely happy with how they've turned out, I've done nothing to backsweeten, I like things dry and tart (big fan of Lambic beer) and the cherry one reminds me of a dry tannic red wine but slightly tarter.
Question is, why is so much commercial mead so aggressively sweet? Can't stand most of the stuff I've tried. Anyone know of any UK producers that make a dryer mead? Do I have weird taste? I would quite happily sip a chilled dry mead on a hot day in place of a white wine. I plan to make my next batch along these lines but will it be too bland without the orange and spices in the JAOM recipe?

Cheers!
Hy philt !! . Something similar happens in Argentina, although there are very few people here who have ever tried mead in their lives. To make matters worse, in Spanish mead they say "hidromiel" which would be something like "Hydrohoney" which in itself suggests that the drink you will taste will be sweet and when you do it you will get a surprise. If you expect to taste something sweet and it turns out to be something dry, it can be unpleasant.

I think that if dry mead is good, it is really good since the sweetness can hide some unpleasant characteristics. On the other hand, some characteristics such as flavors such as fruit flavors can be enhanced thanks to some sugar content.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns