• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Estimating time left until bottling by bubbles per minute.

UDV

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 20, 2008
NYC
I'm trying to guesstimate when the two meads that I didn't keep accurate records on (ie, I didn't write down their starting SG).

I am basically only going by the bubbling in the airlock. All of them are bubbling at least once every 2 or 3 seconds.

I found this old post by Oskaar here,

http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=412&topic=2602.0

And this is still the current consensus? Rack to new carboys after seeing a bubble once every thirty seconds or so. So until I get to that point I should be okay on these two batches?

beachfrontmeadman

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 15, 2008
www.myspace.com
i can't reiterate wildaho's statement enough
bubbling is not a good reflection of late stage fermentation
even if you haven't taken specific gravity tests before on the batch, a hydrometer reading is the best judge
unless you used a very high alch tolerate yeast you are likely safe with a sg close to 1.000
if it is very tolerant such as a champagne yeast, or something else bread to ferment totally dry, then i'd look for something less than 1.000

UDV

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 20, 2008
NYC
This is why we are supposed to keep a brewlog! I made the mistake with these two, and while the SG's are dropping...I'll never know when it's done. It's nowhere near close to 1.00 though.

Still at like 1.019 when I checked one of them today!

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Even if you don't know the OG, you can still figure out when it's finished fermenting with your hydrometer. When the SG is stable for a week, you're safe to rack*. Where the SG will land depends on the yeast, the OG, nutrition, etc., but at least you know that when it stops dropping, the yeast are done eating.

*assuming your fermentation isn't stuck. but at 1.019 and dropping, you should probably be fine on that front.