• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Fermentable Insoluble Sugars

African Bronze Honey - 50% off for GotMead members

Lied

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 19, 2012
Howdy all,

I've looked around and cannot find an answer, so thought I would just pose my question.

Is it possible to determine a final ABV if fruit (or any other fermentable insoluble sugar) is used during the primary fermentation?

I use the term "insoluble" loosely as the sugar is soluble, just not when I stick whole chunks into the fermentation bucket and take a SG reading right after.

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Hi, Lied! Welcome to "Gotmead!"

Good question (with a somewhat involved answer)!!

With fruit that hasn't been pressed into juice, you can only estimate the amount of sugars available for fermentation. I've covered this subject in a past thread; if you use the search tool and search for the terms 'fermentable sugar in fruit' you'll find, among other things, this:
http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16445&highlight=fermentable+sugars+fruit

My posting (I think it is around #10 in the thread) explains how to estimate the fruit's contribution to your total sugar content in a melomel must. If you've got any questions after reading the entire thread (ignore the puns), then let us know!

African Bronze Honey - 50% off for GotMead members