• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

First time making mead questions?

Nborisov89

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 18, 2020
Bulgaria
Hello.
4 weeks ago i've done my first two batches of mead.

One is a traditional mead:

4kg (8.81 pounds ) of honey for 10 litres (2.64 gallon) batch with a starting gravity of 1.139.

Additives: I've made a so called tannin tea (black tea, some raisins and orange peels).

The other is a Hydromel

2kg (4.4 pounds ) of honey in a 8 litres (2.11 gallon) batch ( made it with less water because my carboy was only around 10 litres ( 2.5 gallon). The SG was 1.085

Additive: around 30 grams of chopped raisins

My question is

I've racked the Hydromel to secondary several days ago ( was a little messy since my syphon didn't start smoothly) and removed the raisins ( they were grapes by then lol ) from it.
Its currently sitting in a smaller carboy filled almost to the top ( very little headspace). It's SG after racking was about 1.032 ( witch is around 7.2 %ABV) but i could have taken a wrong reading with my hydrometer.

How long should i keep it in secondary? Its still cloudy and there are new lees forming at the bottom of the carboy. From what i can see , the yeast is still very much active too.

Also when should i rack the traditional one or should i rack it at all ?

Sorry for the wall of text but its my first time trying this and i'm kinda nervous :)