• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

First try...

African Bronze Honey - 50% off for GotMead members

jsmith1488

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 15, 2008
Heilsa,

I am looking to try my hand at this for the first time. Can anyone suggest a method that will yield some traditional mead that does not require a brew master to make? And when I say I need something simple I MEAN SIMPLE.... Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance.

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
If you want a purely "traditional" mead as in only honey, water and yeast as the ingredients, then keep the initial gravity under 1.100, use a yeast with a rated alcohol tolerance around 14%, and you'll end up with a drink that can be ready in fairly short order. You can't get simpler than that, although it turns out to be more difficult to make a "good" traditional mead than it might at first seem, since you have to pay close attention to fermentation management.

One recipe that most new meadmakers try is Joe's Ancient Orange. It is a 'set it and forget it' kind of recipe that uses more ingredients, but is so easy to mix up and make that few problems usually crop up - unless you change the recipe! ;) Use the Search function from the Gotmead Forum top level page and you'll find hundreds of posts on the JAO topic, which will give you all the info you'll need to make this very simple recipe -- and it is usually ready to drink in 90 days or so. Just follow the original recipe exactly and you'll likely have no issues.

jsmith1488

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 15, 2008
Thanks!!!! I was actually trying to find that earlier. I think this is the one I would like to try first.

Thanks for all the help and a great forum!!!

jsmith1488

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 15, 2008
I did the search..... Could anyone link me to the "original" recipe?? It would be much appreciated!!

Thanks

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
African Bronze Honey - 50% off for GotMead members