• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Germany find 1400 year old mead !!!

Barrel Char Wood Products

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
GntlKnigt1 needs to check his maths....

The article mentions 500 to 550BC which is two and a half thousand years not 1400.......

It'd be excellent if they could identify the yeast strain used...

Beautiful cauldron though......

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago area formerly Netherlands
Good mead takes a little aging :)

It would be fun to have a golden drinking horn that holds 5.5L-
Little Wifey: HAVE YOU BEEN DRINKING AGAIN??
Medsen (slurring badly): I only had one... :rolleyes:

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

ROFL. Love that !!! Rather like the beer sold at Oktoberfest in Munich.... I hear they hold a liter !!! BTW, Oktoberfest is way bigger over in America than it is in Netherlands, and maybe Europe !! At least, in Chicago area it is. But then, Chicago is very ethnically diverse, but we digress.

That's some old mead there !!

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
FB, did you say K1V is what Brother Adam used?
According to his writings on his mead making, he originally used "Maury" yeast. The only isolate currently available from the Maury AOC region is Lalvin D21, but that wasn't isolated until after Brother Adams death. But we have to presume that its the same as was originally available.

So, once he found that he could no longer get the Maury yeast he changed to using the Montpelier strain, which was packed in the UK as Gervin Varietal "E", but is the same strain as Lalvin K1-V1116 (its actually vvv hard to find as the Gervin packs).

TheAlchemist

I am Meadlemania
GotMead Patron
Sep 9, 2010
near a lake
According to his writings on his mead making, he originally used "Maury" yeast. The only isolate currently available from the Maury AOC region is Lalvin D21, but that wasn't isolated until after Brother Adams death. But we have to presume that its the same as was originally available.

So, once he found that he could no longer get the Maury yeast he changed to using the Montpelier strain, which was packed in the UK as Gervin Varietal "E", but is the same strain as Lalvin K1-V1116 (its actually vvv hard to find as the Gervin packs).

Thanks, FB.
I remember asking this question ages ago and don't remember ever reading your reply.
Here it is!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns