• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Go ahead, I deserve it.

Barncrawler

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2020
Martinez, CA
So last September I helped an elderly neighbor of mine harvest about 40 pounds of honey from a few hives that had been neglected. With most of my share I prepared two batches of meat. This was late summer honey very dark and sugary.

The first batch was made in a 6 gallon car boy, starting with a 4 to 1 ratio of spring water to honey. With a view to what Vikings might have had available to them, I added wild strawberries and currents.When I added the east this stuff became incredibly active, with current zooming around the car boy as if under power. After a month it became perfectly clear, golden to brown with sediment on the bottom and scum on the top.

The second batch I prepared in a 1.5 gallon magnum bottle with a 3 to 1 ratio of spring water to honey and to this batch I added about a quarter ounce of the finest Indica I could get my hands on. Although a much darker color, it also became beauty fully clear about a month in.

after three or four more weeks all the bubbling stopped stopped in the air logs. This is where it gets a little embarrassing. In a rush to clear the space one day, I simply corked both bottles and put them in a dark cool place in my basement. There they have sat, neglected, since Jan 2020.

still clear and golden, still with sediments at the bottom and poopy looking foam on top.

I’m a bit scared to try it but today I will.

advice? Poison control center?

EricHartman

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 4, 2019
Indiana
probably will be great! If the corks didn't do their job it will likely be somewhat oxidized but so long as that end held up they may taste quite nice! I'd get a sample midway from foam to lees and drive it in to you!

apisgallus

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 9, 2021
Kentucky
I usually make mead with honey. Wonder what bottled meat tastes like. Apologies really should have, but couldn't help myself.:ROFLMAO:

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
spellnig was never my strong point. Or as Dorothy Parker once said, There but for a typographical error goes the story of my life.
Oh Man. Sorry brother. Trust me. You can't be any worse than I am at spelling. I was revering to the original poster. And even then in a friendly way. I tell people God gave me the gift of "creative spelling". I'm glad you didn't get bent. And now I realizeif the OP would have read my reply I COULD HAVE JUST AS WELL HURT HIS FEELINGS. I swear as easy as it is for me in public settings. I so suck on the writing replies on the web Welocme to our family brother. And now I wounder. Maybe sister? See what I mean !!!

Barncrawler

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2020
Martinez, CA
Aspigallus, all you saw in that entire post was the one typo? Ok … comedy is on the eye of the beholder, I guess…

and Squatchy… is that drum for me?
Then bang the local asshole drum too.

• Wow
Reactions: EricHartman

EricHartman

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 4, 2019
Indiana
Lets pull back and try not to let this thread devolve too much... Barncrawler how did it taste? Were they salvageable? Terrible? delightful? When you got quiet I was worried that your advice on the poison control center was legit!

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns