• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

GoFerm vs yeast starter for beer?

PitBull

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 25, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm always looking for a good shortcut without compromising quality.

I realize that vials of liquid yeast and smack-packs do not have as high a concentration of yeast as do dry packets.

I have brewed a bourbon barrel stout, that turned out to be wonderful, for which I used a one liter starter. To save time making the next batch, I was wondering if I could use GoFerm to get the smack-pack yeast going instead of making a starter. Would it have any impact of flavor? Other advantages and disadvantages?

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Since the yeast will have already re hydrated themselves in the smack pack before you add it to the Go-Ferm it won't have the same effect. I've been making a starter 2 or 3 days before I am ready to pitch when using smack packs.

PitBull

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 25, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Much thanks!

I'm not really surprised by the answer. I already have a 1 liter flask which I used to swirl for the last starter. I have access to a stir plate at work that I can use on weekends. I have to buy a capsule as I would not want to use the contaminated lab capsules.