• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Graff With Home Made Oat Extract

The Only Mead Competition Judged by Real Buyers

Wolfie

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 14, 2005
Twin Cities
I've had this recipe in my wish list for some time

Basically it's a hard cider fortified with malt and very lightly hopped.

I'm making 2 gallons, cider is 1.035 (I was a little disappointed at that)
I have 1 2/3 cups of Oat Malt Extract (SG 1.156)

the OG is 1.048, about 5.5% PABV

I am planning on fermenting this on Nottingham Ale Yeast
I haven't decided on a hop yet, but opted for dry hopping. I am open to suggestions of what anyone thinks would blend well with this.

Making my home malt extract

I am gluten free so there are not a lot of grains I can use, however my LHBS has malted oat.
I wanted to avoid the long controlled simmer to convert my grains, instead I found amylase at Midwest Supply and simply added it to my grains while they steeped in 2 gallons of water. After 24 hours an Iodine test showed that the starches had converted, I rinsed the oats with another gallon of water and put them on to boil uncovered to help reduction. At the end of the day I got a sugary dark brown syrup that tasted about right, I am hoping this works, but even if it fails I am excited to see the results of my experimentations.

Will post brew log and notes.

/Z

Last edited:

clone63

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 1, 2013
Belleville, ON
How was the oat malt smell/taste? I've never seen that online, and can't imagine I could even get it in this province lol.

Kansas Mead

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 9, 2012
Kansas
If I was going to dry hop. I would avoid high alpha acid hops and go with hops that are high in aroma oils. Hop like Brewer's Gold, Fuggle, Saaz. Though spices could be good.

Wolfie

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 14, 2005
Twin Cities
Well it wrapped up, 1.002

Not sure about the flavor. At first I was really disapointed, then I remembered Nottingham can have a pretty funky taste until it clears up.

It is difficult for me to give good descriptors on the oat malt, I have been persona non gluten most of my adult life so I never developed a good beer palate. I feel like it might have a little bitterness, I may not have done it right.

Looking in my suplies I found Czech Premient and Styrian Aurora on hand, anyone familiar with either of those?

Thanks for reading, I'll update when it clears, hopefully it improves.

/Z

The Only Mead Competition Judged by Real Buyers