• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Hops in my backyard

Skinner

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2004
hi everyone just wanted to share an ironic little story.

A few years back when we first moved into this house, my mom and I were weeding and getting ready to start a garden, we were pulling out old plants left and right, little did we know we had pulled out about 80 valuble hop plants, we had no idea what these plants were with little conular buds, we thought, just another old weed that had taken over.
Well then a few months back I got into brewing, and found out what these hops looked like :eek:!

ahh oh well, ive got a place that sells em about 3 miles away, i think im still in business.

sure would have been nice to of had home grown hops though.

jab

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 15, 2004
radiofreeomaha.net
Doh! Let me guess they were nice, large, mature plants too? Heh, I am surprised you weren't informed when you were looking at the house. I know if I had a stash of hops plants I would have made that a selling point!

Skinner

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2004
yes they were prime, and it turns out the previous owner did sell them, I contacted her and she said shed had them for years, she actually was a small contributor to the local brewery here. and yes I also was surprised I was not notified about the plants when moving into the house.
Ive been contimplating growing some more.

Skinner

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns