• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Hydrometer Issue

Barrel Char Wood Products

KrisB

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 25, 2020
When I tested my first batch this evening with the hydrometer to get the OG, the water line where the hydrometer stuck up out of the liquid was below the hash marks (the last one being 35 Brix). It would be 40 or 45 Brix if that was marked on there. My notes are in the Mead Log in the First Batch: Clary Sage Semi-Sweet Traditional Mead thread. Did I do something wrong with the hydrometer?

4give

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 1, 2018
Montrose, CO
In my experience, it would be strange for the gases in the must to push it up that much, but I usually stir my must a bit to release some gases before taking an SG reading. The bubbles can sort of cause the hydrometer to float a bit higher. I'm not sure that's the issue or if your original reading was incorrect.

KrisB

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 25, 2020
I couldn't take the temperature, unfortunately, since I don't have a thermometer. The hydrometer just sinks to the bottom and leans over like the leaning Tower of Pisa. It won't float. The line where it sticks out is below the last mark (35 Brix). I don't know what I've done wrong.

KrisB

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 25, 2020
Thank you! Was able to float it in a must sample in a tube and got a reading of 15 Brix. Hooray!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns