• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

I am Gruit

African Bronze Honey - 50% off for GotMead members

pokerfacepablo

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2012
St. Cloud, MN
Came across the word Gruit on my local Ren Fest page and became intrigued. It brought me to some website that gave a little more info. Gruit is term used for a beer that is made with herbs instead of hops. Gruits were quite popular back in the days due to sanctions by church and state. This enticed me to buy a book called "Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers" which does include sections to mead making. From there I came up with my first Gruit recipe.

Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
1 lbMolasses36805.6%
4 lbAmerican - Pale 2-Row371.822.2%
1.5 lbFlaked Oats332.28.3%
3 lbHoney42216.7%
2 lbAmerican - Caramel / Crystal 120L3312011.1%
1 lbFlaked Barley322.25.6%
1 lbAmerican - Black Malt285005.6%
1 lbAmerican - Chocolate293505.6%
1 lbBelgian - Caramel Pils3485.6%
0.5 lbTorrified Wheat3622.8%
2 lbDry Malt Extract - Dark443011.1%
18 lb Total

Other Ingredients
Amount Name Type Use Time
0.5 ozBog MyrtleHerbBoil30 min
1 ozMugwortHerbBoil30 min
0.5 ozLemon grassHerbBoil5 min
0.5 ozOrange peelFlavorBoil5 min
0.5 ozChamomile flowersHerbBoil5 min
0.5 ozBog MyrtleHerbBoil5 min
0.5 ozMugwortHerbBoil5 min
0.5 eachVanilla beanSpiceBoil5 min
0.25 ozWormwoodHerbBoil60 min
0.25 ozYarrowHerbBoil30 min
0.5 ozElderflowerHerbBoil5 min
0.5 ozIndian Sarsparilla

Last edited:

pokerfacepablo

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2012
St. Cloud, MN
Makes 5.5 gallons roughly. It's got great chocolate and molasses smell. I used Nottingham at pitch. Honey obviously not added to the boil.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Oh man that sounds like a winner! How strong is the Indian Sarsaparilla? I just had a bottle of hard root beer a friend brought over to try and I thought it would have been better blended with a sweet mead. Sarsaparilla along with those other herbs sounds like a great combination.

Now i want a root beer.

pokerfacepablo

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2012
St. Cloud, MN
The root I bought didn't seem super strong but .5 Oz should leave a hint. I've used an extract when making soda that was far superior.
This stuff smells awfully flowery blowing out the airlock. I love it, something different.
Man, everyone is into that hard root beer. What kind was it?

pokerfacepablo

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2012
St. Cloud, MN
The wormwood and bog myrtle add the bitterness. The rest is for flavor and aroma. Smells like a cup of tea is brewing with each blast from the air lock. I started last Wednesday so the activity is slowing down. With the yeast cake and herbs compacting, I'll get roughly 4 gallons tops... they do add up. The color is dark brown, typical of a stout. 7% when done fermenting.

pokerfacepablo

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2012
St. Cloud, MN
Well fermentation is complete so I'm going to rack this one to a 3 gallon carboy. Most of the herbs have fell to the bottom so I'm going to transfer and let it clear some more. I don't want it sitting on the herbs too long. They smelled pretty potent during fermentation so the sooner I can get it off. Keep you posted on the tasting notes when transferring.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
The root I bought didn't seem super strong but .5 Oz should leave a hint. I've used an extract when making soda that was far superior.
This stuff smells awfully flowery blowing out the airlock. I love it, something different.
Man, everyone is into that hard root beer. What kind was it?
Good question. I liked it so when I go get a six pack this weekend I'll post a pic.

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

pokerfacepablo

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2012
St. Cloud, MN
Thanks Mannye, I'll be watching.

Well this is a floral bomb. As soon as I removed the airlock, a bouquet of flowers punched me in the nose. I taste the dark malt and molasses up front. The herbs give it fruity and a medicinal after taste... it's not a bad thing because that's what gruits were meant for.
A big difference between beer and my gruit is the bitterness. The bitterness from the hops in most beers that I drink are usually the first thing I taste. My gruit, the herb bitterness is found in the after taste and it's rather slow to hit the tongue.
Honey is hidden in the background. Give it a few months and hopefully the flower bomb goes down.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Sounds very nice!

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I still haven't gotten more hard root beer but I have to go fill the tanks tomorrow so that's an excuse to stop at Total Wine and pick some up.

African Bronze Honey - 50% off for GotMead members