• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

I broke my Hydrometer :(

African Bronze Honey - 50% off for GotMead members
Etowah Meadery - Drink Unique

jgoehring

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2013
Lincoln,Ne
That is exactly how I felt when I went to take a reading and noticed a chunk of glass missing out of the bottom. After that I went and purchased spares.

Jim H

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2013
NYC
Yeah, I hear you. I busted mine the other day. I'll have to get spares, too, I think.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Dropped one of mine in the plastic sink the other day and wonder of all wonders, it didn't break. Although I do have two spares. That's usually a good protection against breakage :D

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
They are delicate things. Sometimes no matter how careful you are they will just break apart from too quick a temp change.

Jim H

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2013
NYC
I think I will be switching to my refractometer for my regular readings.

But, I just got starting and final range hydrometers for those two points. At least it will lessen the stress on them if I use them less frequently.

PitBull

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 25, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Even worse.

Last year I knocked over a brand new glass sampling cylinder filled with cleaning solution and a brand new precision hydrometer... on what was to be their very FIRST use.

That cost me about $25 to $30 for failing to pay attention to what I was doing. :BangHead:

Has anybody else done anything this stupid lately?

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Yes. I bought a pizza franchise. Feel better now? Anyone want to buy a pizza franchise? Ill trade you having to buy a new hydrometer.

Etowah Meadery - Drink Unique
African Bronze Honey - 50% off for GotMead members