• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

IMA Home Meadmaker Membership

Barrel Char Wood Products

What's a fair price for Home Mead Maker Membership in the IMA?

• If it ain't free don't bother me!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $25

• $35

• $45

• $50

• Are you freaking nuts???

• Total voters

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Hi All,

Here's the question. How much are you willing to shell out for an annual Home Mead Makers Membership in the IMA (International Mead Association)? Obviously there would be some perks involved for members such as a periodic newsletter with articles addressing everything from basics to advanced topics. We have a committment from Ken Schramm to do "Ken's Korner" which will feature a mead recipe from Ken Schramm in each issue as well as periodic feature articles on well known mead makers. There may also be certain discounts available to members for IMA sponsored events, competitions, etc.

Bottom line is that this organization will be growing like foam on a high gravity chocolate must and it will be a good idea to join in early on. We're looking forward to publishing the first newsletter which will be free. Subsequent issues of the newsletter will be a benefit of membership.

Chime in with your thoughts on fees!

Thanks,

Oskaar

P

Pawn

I think 25.00 will get the most new members then go from there, an email digest would be a cool way to get articles out to members fairly inexpensive, and would attract mead makers world wide.

Maybe someday a magazine :eek:

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Amount Depends on the Perks, how about a lifetime membership offered? Something like $250 for a basic lifetime... To help the IMA get it's footing early on. Maybe even a tiered lifetime membership with various levels of perks. At the High End Say $1000... All access VIP passes (2 each) at events, Scheduled round table discussions with the industry experts, judges etc. First level notification of events (before official press release & posting on IMA's home site) so we can book rooms at the hotel early. These are just a few of the perks I would be willing to shell out for at the high end, but then I've always been a crazy dreamer.

Wrathwilde

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
Hey Oskaar,

How much I'd be willing pay, is directly related to how and what the funds generated from membership dues are used for, and the benifits of membership.

Anthony

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
What the IMA home meadmaking committee has done so far is to begin setting up a national level mead competition and begin efforts to kick off a mead publication, in its present form as a newsletter. This is pretty fantastic, considering that the committee has only been active for less than a year.

Yes, I can see a magazine in the future. ;D

Although membership in an organization should certainly have some nice benefits, this is also a two way street. In addition to benefits, belonging to an organization means committing one's self to supporting the growth and development of whatever the particular organization's "mission" is. In this case, it's home meadmaking.

Here's something to consider -- for the most part, until the commercial meadmaking industry got kicked off, knowledge, techniques and basic understanding of mead and meadmaking, in this country, has been largely carried by home meadmakers. The first mead organization, the American Mead Association, was started as a grassroots organization solely devoted to home meadmaking. The Internet played a huge role in promoting knowlege of meadmaking, but again, it's been home meadmakers, putting in time and effort on their own to post information, develop web sites, and maintain discussion groups, all on a volunteer basis.

There's where the potential of the IMA home meadmaking committe lies. Much of the information available on the Internet is extremely valuable, but mostly in discussion form and consequently not always well organized. You've got to spend a lot of time chasing down search words, or sifting through discussion threads. For the people whose passion for mead extends to talking about and sharing what they've learned, organized publication such as newsletters and journals offers opportunities to funnel that creative energy. Take a look at other publications for winemaking and brewing. They don't give much attention to mead. We need mead specific outlets for letting people know what's out there.

Back to benefits, it's a two way street. Sure, the organization should provide something for membership, but the question in return is, does your passion for meadmaking extend further than a weekend hobby? Is learning about the lore, mystique and methods of meadmaking, discussing these things and sharing it with others a part of that passion? If it is, than membership in the IMA homemeading branch, as it develops further, will give an organized channel for that passion.

P

Pawn

With all due respect,
I am not sure I am ready to be known as a home "mead maker", I would hope this venture would be inclusive of the many commercial mead makers, and the knowledge would be shared and provided equally from all scources.

The people I see making Mead have many other interests, and are not going to fork out 1000.00 for a membership to anything, unless maybe its motocross:)
Cheers...John

P.S. I dont do this for the money;)

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
It's definitely inclusive of all meadmakers, commercial, amateur, professional, nonprofessional, etc., et. al.

Membership fees are still being worked out, but the nonprofessionals should be at lower rate than the "big boys" (and girls :) ). That's why there's been a distinction of terms.

Hope that clears up any unintentional confusion.

Any more ideas on what would be a reasonable membership fee? Looks like $25 is in the running. Cast your vote!

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
I have no problem with calling myself a home mead maker - it's what I iz. ;D

However, as a foreign resident the benefits of membership for me would be limited to gaining (and sharing) mead-making knowledge through hard-copy or e-publications. I don't foresee participating in events in the US any time soon. So to me, membership is worth no more than $25 yearly.

I'm comparing this to the soapmaker's guild I used to belong to, which charges $80 yearly, and in return for which I used to receive a newsletter four times yearly, admission to the members-only site, use of the guild member's seal (which meant exactly nothing to my clientele), access to two on-line brochures, listing in their roster with permission to post one photo, conference and vendor discounts, participation in their on-line forum, voting privileges. Members are also required to agree to a code of ethics regarding soapmaking practice and sales. All worthy considerations - but again, it boiled down to a quarterly journal for me here in Israel, so eventualy I dropped it.

Useless to say this kind of thing, but if my budget were larger, I would gladly buy a big, benefactor's membership to support the organization. As it is, I am waiting for the time when the association will be a truly international presence, so that I can start rounding up some membership over here. :)

Miriam

Summersolstice

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 14, 2005
Central Nebraska, USA
I'm a newbie and don't have the experience of 99% of the members on this board so my comments should be taken in that context.

My mead hobby, so far, is just that - a hobby. I enjoy searching out new commecial meads to sample in an effort to see what my home-made meads are capable of. I'm also learning to enjoy researching and blending ingredients that will result in better products. At this time, however, I wouldn't say my hobby amounts to a passion.

That being said, I live in a small town in a state with a small population and don't have the networking available to those living on the coasts. This forum has been a godsend to me and, though I would have tried my hand at mead making anyway, I wouldn't have nearly the knowledge I've absorbed by pouring over the comments made by people with the combined experience of members on this board.

This rambling reply is an effort to explain that I would welcome membership in the IMA and look forward newsletters and other information, and be willing to contribute in my own small way, both substantively and financially. Until my hobby turns into a passion I wish to take small steps. I may be mistaken but I feel there are likely many of us who share an interest but may not be as passionate as the handful of members who are responsible for most of the posts on this forum.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Hi All,

To expand a bit on the Home Mead Makers Committee moniker: committee members kicked around several names like Hobbyist, Hobby, Amateur, Non commercial mead makers that make mead in their domicile, yadda, yadda, yadda. Bottom line is that the overwhelming majority of people who make mead for their own enjoyment do so at their home, hence, "Home" mead maker. It didn't make a lot of sense to get super fancy at this stage of the game since the committee is new and is tasked with managing the Home Mead Maker's Competition at the International Mead Festival in February of 2006, as well as publishing a periodic newsletter.

The fact that we have someone like Ken Schramm who is willing to donate a recipe from his personal collection for each issue; and tireless researchers like Dan McFeeley who are willing to share research from their personal archives is pretty impressive to me. It also speaks volumes about their committment to make the IMA, the competition and the newsletter a roaring success. That's two of several other people on the committee who bring considerable clout to the table. And we haven't even gotten into other folks like David Myers of Redstone, Julia Herz, Vicky the Meadwench herself and a host of others.

As far as benefits go, they will expand and become more formalized as the membership grows, and the member base gives feedback on what they'd like to see. Promising more than that at this point would be inappropriate. On the issue of funds, at this point they will be going directly to help spin up the IMA, support the Newsletter, and support the Competition at the Meadfest in 2006. Again, as membership grows we'll be able to use those funds to provide more and better benefits for our constituency. We'd love to form some strategic partnerships with LHBS's, Commercial Meaderies, Honey Producers and others for discounts or cooperative advertising that would benefit our members. We'd also like to host various "how to" seminars across the Nation as our constituency expands.

Also a word on the folks in the Home Mead Maker's Committee. They have all been tireless in their dedication and willingness to go out of pocket to do whatever it takes to make this thing a success. I'm personally humbled by the level of committement and quality of the people involved. It takes a very special person to work for free for months on end to build a first class competition, publish a newsletter, work with a geographically diverse committee and deliver as consistantly as these folks have. This all comes out of personal and family time which is priceless.

So, I have to say that I'm very enthused about this organization, and supremely confident that the expense will be appropriate to the benefits.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

exmoor_cat

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 20, 2004
www.livejournal.com
I like the idea as set, but I'd like to know how such perks provide an experience above and beyond current information sources, especially as a Brit, before joining. As posted el sewhere, I am keen to see the international element.

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Looking at it from the point of view of a newbee, I would not charge more than $25 for any membership for fear that other potential Mead newbees would not want to join. It is true that unique recipes, brewing advice, special offers, early notification of events etc. are great, but if it costs too much, people will just use the internet instead.

For those who are truly lifelong brewers, Wrathwilde's idea of a lifelong membership for $250 (no more than that though) is good.

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
What I see is this: The Home Meadmakers membership does bring some spiffy benefits, which is great.

But more importantly, what we're asking here is are you interested in supporting and helping the International Mead Association to promote mead as a drink. Would you like to see mead as a regular item in your local stores, bars and restaurants? I know I would. And that, among other things, is what the IMA is trying to do.

The international folks have chimed in that they'd like to see more IMA activity outside the US. So would we. But the IMA can't expand without funds and members.

Some of the things that have been discussed are competitions both here in the US and in other countries, providing support for both professional and home-based meadmakers worldwide, lobbying for mead to be recognized as a drink in its own right, rather than as a subset of wine or beer, and a lot of other stuff that would be too long to list here.

So, the IMA isn't just saying 'give us your cash and we'll give you a competition and a newsletter'. It's saying 'Join the Mead Revolution and help mead gain the recognition and distribution it deserves!'.

Those of you who live in felony ship states, would you like to be able to order mead online to ship to your home? The IMA is going to be lobbying the US federal government along with the wine and beer industries to throw down the Prohibition-era laws that prevent you from enjoying your alcohol of choice. But that takes both people and cash.

The IMA needs members. And it needs people who want to see mead become a common, easily obtained beverage. Join the grass-roots movement, and help it become a reality.We'll be putting together membership kits soon, and expect to finalize a lot of stuff at the International Mead Festival in February. Why don't you plan to attend?

Vicky - I'll be joining, and have already donated web space for both the IMA and the Meadfest, and will be doing the IMA website

Check it out: http://www.meadfest.org - The International Mead Association

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Absolutely and wholeheartedly. I am already driving everyone I know mad with my constant talk of Mead. If I can help bring greater awareness about it to everyone else, and perhaps convince more stores and restaurants to stock it, then sign me up. As for the poll, $25 seems about right (the more obsessed of us may be willing to pay more to help the cause).

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
Good morning,

I will become a member. When saying, how much, depended on benifits I was thinking along the same line as Wrathwilde. A basic membership fee of $25 annualy seems fare, I'ld be willing to pay more for a premium membership along the lines outlined by Wrathwilde.

A Lifetime Membership is a great idea.

Mynx

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 8, 2005
In like Flynn over here.

Dunno if Canada counts as "International" hehe, but I would certainly love to be involved with this.

Let me know what I can do to help!

Edit: Posted this over on my local mead page as well, so I think we might have some more Canadian interest :)

andrew_buhl

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 27, 2005
Assuming this is a profesional association, in the sense that engineers are members of a professional organization, then I am in like Flynt. May I be as bold as to suggest calling it "International Mazing Guild" as this would be more accurate? I am thinking of a hexagon made of Celtic Knot work forming IMA from top to bottom. If you like I'd love to doe the art work - No charge of course. Every orgaization needs a slogan. does any one have any ideas?

GntlKnght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
Dmntd said:
Is I.M.A. being set up as a Non-Profit or a Not-For-Profit org.?

Yes. However, since one of the purposes of the IMA is to lobby legislatures to change laws, donations to it will not be deductible. I may be wrong on this, but that is my current understanding!

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Andrew Buhl said:
Snip . . . May I be as bold as to suggest calling it "International Mazing Guild" as this would be more accurate? I am thinking of a hexagon made of Celtic Knot work forming IMA from top to bottom. If you like I'd love to doe the art work - No charge of course. Every orgaization needs a slogan. does any one have any ideas?

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm sure that "Mazing Guild" would be a fine name for a period or historical society, but the IMA is an organization that promotes mead awareness, lobbies to facilitate the acquisition of mead by the general public and helps to educate the public about mead.

Thank you for your enthusiasm about the artwork as well. We currently have logos, but, in the future that may change as the organization evolves, so we may hunt you down at that time!

Thanks for your interest and support,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns