• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

JAOM tastes overly sweet and has a strange, unpleasant taste

Barrel Char Wood Products

MidwayMonster

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 26, 2013
It's only been about 3 weeks. It is very sweet and has an aroma that reminds me of baby powder. Will the sweetness die down? what about the strange aromas and flavors? The alcohol doesn't burn (I drink spirits all the time). The taste was not good and the only way I could finish a glass enjoyably was to chase it. Will it get better? Does it take a while to get acquired to the taste of mead?

Also, once the fermentation process is underway, is bacteria messing up the flavor less of an issue due to the alcohol?

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
This is only going to finish at around ten to twelve percent so you don't usually feel any alcohol burn even if you don't drink spirits.

You might be tasting some of the pith from the orange, it's a bit weird. And you're only at three weeks and it might not even be finished, so put it back in the closet and no touchy till 8 weeks like the recipe says.... ;D

One of the best defenses against bacteria is a healthy fermentation, as a thriving yeast colony will be vacuuming up anything edible (usually what the bacteria would want to eat) and busily produces CO2 which inhibits most bacteria.

Is it still bubbling?

Is it still cloudy?

Has the fruit sunk?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns