• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Jim's Pastis

Jim H

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2013
NYC
Here's an off-mead-topic recipe. This is my take on Pastis. I have gotten this recipe to where I really like the results.

Get very fresh spices for this. It makes a difference. I find that keeping them in the freezer does a good job of maintaining their freshness. Measure all spices first, then crush them in a mortar. Do not crush first then measure.

15 star anise pods
1 Tablespoon shaved licorice root
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1-1/2 teaspoons lavender flowers
6 large green cardamon pods, including the shell
1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
2 cups vodka
After a week:
~ 3/4 cup simple syrup (see below)

I get good vodka. I used Svedka for this, it has a nice clean taste as a base.

Crush the spices, and mix into the vodka. Put the jar in a cupboard, and let sit for a week -- no more. The spices will get unpleasantly bitter. (If you like it more spicy, it is better to add more spices than to let it sit longer.)

After a week:
- Use a fine strainer to strain the vodka off of the spices. The more of the powder you can get out, the clearer it will be.
- Boil 1/2 cup water, turn to very low, add 1/3 cup white table sugar (brown doesn't taste right, honey doesn't taste right). Dissolve completely. Let cool and add to spiced vodka, shake well.
- Put back in the cupboard. It will start to taste right after 3 days to a week later.

I serve it either strait and sipped in small grappa glasses, or about a finger width of it in a tumbler with a single ice cube.

Traditionally, it can also be served diluted with ice cold water in a tall pastis glass, this recipe can get to about 3x water to 1x pastis and still taste "correct".

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns