• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Looking for a fully sweet mead please!

Saint Grimm

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 23, 2020
Hello all!
I've come across this site while googling mead stuff for quite some time now and just decided to join today!

I plan to start brewing my own sweet mead, but I've actually never had fully sweet mead to compare to.

I've called around multiple times over the years, as far as 60 miles away. But all I managed to get is 'we only sell sweet mead around christmas time'. I've been meaning for years now to take that 45 mile drive, but it always slips my mind at that time of year as there's lots of other stuff going on!

So right now, since it's not christmas, my only option on mead within a 60 mile radius is a 45 mile drive for chaucer's semi-sweet spiced mead. I've went and got the chaucer's on multiple occasions, I love it. BUT, I've always felt that I'd enjoy it even more if it was sweeter and not just semi sweet.

I'm a cheapo. I'm looking for something that's $20 or under. I found some 'Chaucer's Mead' for $11, but the bottle nor the description on the website say if it's sweet, semi-sweet, or dry, so I don't really want to order it. I'd also prefer to try something new, a brand other than chaucers, unless there's just nothing else in the price range.

Thanks in advance to any suggestions! I'd prefer a link to order it, but I'll happily take brand names and try to find them myself as well.

EDIT: What would be the result of adding honey to chaucer's semi-sweet mead? Would it make it sweeter or just ruin it?

EDIT2: Is Viking Blod a sweet mead? I've read online it's dry and hoppy, but decided to call around again while I waited on a reply here and a local liquor store actually told me they just recently started carrying a sweet mead called viking blod.

Last edited:

Saint Grimm

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 23, 2020
That's just a store to buy mead. I'm looking for something specific that's sweet. I don't know enough about mead to tell the difference just looking at it online. Is dark mead or light mead sweeter? Does the color even effect the sweetness? I don't know what cyser or melomels are, I just want a normal honey flavor.

I've found one called The King's Mead from hidden legend winery, but def want some more options before I just go buying one. Is there something you could suggest such as 'The King's Mead from hidden legend winery' for a sweet mead?

Straight chauser's is not the greatest I've had... However, the semi-sweet chaucer's that comes with a little spice-pack, heated on the stove with the spice pack in it and drank warm is really good IMO.

Last edited:

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Well ya. It's a place to buy mead. What do you want me to do, look through it for you as well?

Saint Grimm

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 23, 2020
Well I've looked through that website and countless others. I can't tell which is sweet and which aren't.

Is 'Apimed Old Slavic Mead Dark' sweet? The description doesn't say, the bottle doesn't say. That's the entire reason I came to the forums, so people could tell me brands that they already know of that are sweet... as stated in my original post: A link to the specific mead would be cool

example: https://www.hiddenlegendwinery.com/product/the-kings-mead/

But I'll happily take brand names and find them myself.

example: The King's Mead by hidden legend winery.

No I don't expect you to look through the site for me, I expect you to suggest a sweet mead that's in a $20 and under price range, just as I asked in my original post. And if you have a link to it, even better.

Last edited:

4give

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 1, 2018
Montrose, CO
Hi - every mead out there may not have a meadery website, but I just took one off of the link Squatchy gave you, found their website, and they have a 'contact us' link. I would contact the meaderies that are selling online, and ask them for their options of a sweet mead, and then order from those. A bit more work, and I would agree that these sellers should be at least giving us the description of the type and sweetness level. Seems silly not to IMO. Anyway, that's what I'd do if i can't find the info I'm looking for.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Chaucer’s has stepped up their game recently as the popularity of mead has increased over the last 10 years. I was one of the people that slammed Chaucer’s constantly until a few years ago when I heard they were winning awards. I tried it and I have to say the quality and taste is very good. At least I like it. It’s about as sweet as I can stand.

Saint Grimm

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 23, 2020
Thank you very much!!! These both look magnificent! I've got them bookmarked and even if I don't order them for this specific thing, I still really wanna try them and probably will order the honey one at some point, the raspberry idk if I'll like, but I would like to try it!

Edit: It may very well be the one I try though (the honey one). It's shelf price is higher than a lot of the others that I've found, but because it's apparently cheaper to ship from POLAND than 2 STATES AWAY, it's actually cheaper total! lol With shipping, the honey one comes out to about $42. A $12 mead from 2 states over from where I live comes out to $48 total.... That just seems silly.

Chaucer’s has stepped up their game recently as the popularity of mead has increased over the last 10 years. I was one of the people that slammed Chaucer’s constantly until a few years ago when I heard they were winning awards. I tried it and I have to say the quality and taste is very good. At least I like it. It’s about as sweet as I can stand.
If they've stepped up their game I might just go buy another bottle of that. I've had better semi-sweet, but it's been 2-3 years since I've had chaucers. The reason I like it as much as I do is the spice pack that comes with it.

Last time I had Chaucers, Without spice pack = okay but not best
Chaucers with spice pack & served warm = possibly the best I've personally had. lol

Last edited: