• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Looking to learn more...

Tsuchi

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 28, 2004
www.earthworks-design.com
I've begun a batch of pilsener from a kit(cringe) for my boyfriend as he very much enjoys beer. Now I tend not enjoy it so much unless it is a very good beer. But I'im wondering some of you avid brewers out there could turn me towards some usefull sites... I know there is a lot more to beer than mead but I'd like to learn how to do it properly the malting and all that so that I could make something that i might even have a glass of now and again.

Thanks Tsuchi

jab

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 15, 2004
radiofreeomaha.net
How complicated do you want to get? Are you thinking an extract brew? All grain?

I would guess there are plenty of good sites out there but I rarely ever visit them. Charlie Papazian's 'The Complete Joy Of Homebrewing' has been my beer bible.

Tsuchi

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 28, 2004
How complicated... well. Hmmm I think i'd like to start medium complicated and move towards totaly from scratch... I dont want to have to rely too heavily on preprocessed goods... to be honest it was really wierd to use the malted stuff from a can... I wasn't really involved in anything. And i like the active involvment part of things! So yes eventualy I'd like to have wheat and grains and hops in front of me and then a month or two later, beer. More mess and trouble i know but other wise i feel like i'm making koolaid. :)

jab

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 15, 2004
radiofreeomaha.net
Heh...Koolaid. Well like I said I would go out and get Charlie's book. Very good. However if you don't have the coin for it right now there is John Palmer's book which he makes available online at http://www.howtobrew.com/. That is another very good resource.

Tsuchi

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 28, 2004
Thanks jab, I am short on the $$ at the moment... But things are looking up so next check it's time to track down 1 mead bible and 1 beer bible. Thanks for the Link.

Tsuchi

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 28, 2004
Here? where? What link? Oskaar? are you toying with my craving for learning...Snicker..

on another note...The frist thing i did after reading about hopping was to check out my local herb/plant seed supplier... hehehe they Do sell many of the Types i coulde see using, cascades, nugget ect. gotta love home grown now if only i could grow a home and get out of this apt ;D

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns