• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Mead Calculator

Mirakk

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2013
Waukesha, WI
Okay, I didn't know where to post this sort of thing. I looked at the various forums and didn't come up with a better place to post this.

Teach me to use the mead calculator!

I'm even using the help page and it just flat out doesn't seem to respond to anything I do to it. I'm trying to calculate the expected gravity of a must. I check the box for target 6 gallons, and check the fermentables table to include 20lbs of honey and hit calculate, and it's not giving me any changes over the default values.

I've also tried following instructions for calculating alcohol content, and that doesn't seem to work either.

Help a brother out?

JamesP

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 3, 2003
Brisbane Australia
It looks like the move to the new forum has broken the code.

Until the page is fixed/reloaded by the Administrators, use the link provided by danr

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Sorry guys, I've been wrestling with the code in the new version of the website, and it's giving me fits. I'm not ignoring you, I promise. Dang thing just doesn't want to cooperate.

ShalomOrchard

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 6, 2007
I’ve never found the thing to work properly. Look, Honey is supposed to be about 80% sugar according to the calculator. If I dilute it in half by adding a second gallon of water, I get 2 gallons at 40% sugar or 40 Brix. If I dilute it to a third by adding two gallons of water, I get 3 Gallons at 26.66% or 27 Brix. If I dilute it to a fourth by adding three gallons, I get 4 gallons at 20% or 20 Brix.

why, when I tell the the calculator I want to make 5 gallons of mead starting around 25 Brix, does it say to use 1.25 Gallons or 15 lb of honey? By the above dilution to a third, I would end up with 3.75 gallons of 27 Brix Mead Wort? By my calculations, I should need 1.5 gallons of honey or 16 lb, to make 5 gallons of 24 Brix Mead Wort or Must.

What Gives?

PS, when I started with about 1.5 G of honey and a pint of lemon juice, and diluted it and checked with my refractometer, I had to dilute it to 6 gallons to get it down to 25-26 Brix, which is what the Mead Calculator said.

So, what’s off?

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
I'm going to have to completely overhaul the code. It was written a long time ago by someone else, so I have to reverse engineer all the math and interdependencies and make it work better. The downside is that it will take time (programmers have quoted me a couple grand to create it to give you an idea of time needed), that at the moment I don't have since I'm ramping up in a new job and have been completely buried.

I'll try to get to it as soon as I can.

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
I'm going to have to completely overhaul the code. It was written a long time ago by someone else, so I have to reverse engineer all the math and interdependencies and make it work better. The downside is that it will take time (programmers have quoted me a couple grand to create it to give you an idea of time needed), that at the moment I don't have since I'm ramping up in a new job and have been completely buried.

I'll try to get to it as soon as I can.

Hi Vicki! I don't think he's complaining about the accuracy of the Calculator, he just wants to know what the difference is between it (the calculator) and his logic of adding 1, 2, 3, etc gallons of water to honey. Why are the two calculations different? It sounds like a question for Bray or Ken Schramm.....

In the mean time, here's a website that gives an explanation behind their calculator:

https://www.meadmakr.com/just-how-much-honey-is-in-mead/

dave

edaskew

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 19, 2018
North Carolina and Mississippi
I just add up grams of sugar, personally. If you want a certain Brix level in the must, that's % sugar, grams per 100ml. You can easily calculate the number or grams that need to be in that must knowing the volume in ml and dividing by 100 multiplied by the Brix. I subtract the grams in all the juices, fruit, etc, and then you can calculate how much honey you need. Add up the volumes of those and subtract the total from the volume of must, then that's how much water you need.

MightyMosin

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Registered Member
Apr 13, 2021
CA
I have to reacquaint myself every time I go to use it, but it does work for what I need; namely how much honey to use for a given batch size at a certain starting OG.

If I want to start at a specific gravity for a certain volume, it works fine... as long as you do it in the correct order.

as an example start the calculator with target gravity and target volume deselected.
Enter the OG that you want to start with. Enter the volume you want to work with.
Now check the target gravity box, then check the target volume box.
You will now have how much honey to use.

If you want a different sugar content% different from the default, enter that amount prior to checking target volume.

I haven't figured out how the additional sugar sections work; mostly because I haven't needed it as I use items in secondary.

I don't know how much help I can be, but I wouldn't mind messing with the code when I have a chance to look at it.

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns