• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Mead not showing any activity after 24 hours

Aki

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 23, 2021
Hong Kong
Hi. I used a simple recipe of around 400gms of honey with 1.8litre water. Added yeast , DAP and lemon juice.
After fermentation , within 6-7 hours there was a little foam on top of the mead. But it all disappeared and now there is no activity in 24 hrs. How do I know if the fermentation process is still happening?

Aki

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 23, 2021
Hong Kong
Yup. Will do that. I was just worried to not agitate the yeast or aerate the mead by opening the work to check specific gravity.

I have another question please- since I am making a hydromel, can I bottle it already after a week of fermentation without going through a second fermentation process? As per the recipe, I can bottle it after a week. But will it have a lot of byproducts to cause any stomach problems?
Thanks for the advice!

EricHartman

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 4, 2019
Indiana
bottling early will generally lead to bottle dusting. Not the end of the world but expect a yeasty flavor. Also you will have to leave it without any residual sugar or your fermentation can kick back up and start building pressure in your bottles.

Reactions: stmcw and darigoni

stmcw

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Feb 25, 2018
Dunmore, PA
Yup. Will do that. I was just worried to not agitate the yeast or aerate the mead by opening the work to check specific gravity.

I have another question please- since I am making a hydromel, can I bottle it already after a week of fermentation without going through a second fermentation process? As per the recipe, I can bottle it after a week. But will it have a lot of byproducts to cause any stomach problems?
Thanks for the advice!
When to bottle depends on the following and not necessarily time based:
1) Is it done fermenting? This is measuring gravity and not seeing any changes in a few days in a row.
2) We do not want any yeast settling out in the bottles, so we let ours sit in primary to allow yeast to finish up and begin to settle out. (usually another week)
3) We always rack to a secondary , stabilize and clarify as want a clear wine. About 1 week, but could be more depending on clarity, alcohol warmth etc.. We are in no hurry for good wine.

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns