• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Mid-process on my first batch!

ChipSmith

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 25, 2021
Midland, Michigan
Yesterday was the 11th day after racking to a clean jug. Fermentation seems to have stopped my last SG was 1.05 And my ABV seems to be only 2%. I have lost approximately a pint of my batch from racking and sampling. Can I add honey, water, yeast and nutrient to try to restart fermentation?

ChipSmith

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 25, 2021
Midland, Michigan
Sorry the photo was bad so I tried another. As you can see, I was directed to dump all the tannins and acids in up front. My last SG was 1.05 (ABV 2%?) Im wondering if I can add water, honey, nutrient and yeast to start it up again?

Attachments

• 6091033F-6602-4F51-A56F-AD63B8D29AB2.jpeg
    6091033F-6602-4F51-A56F-AD63B8D29AB2.jpeg
    399.3 KB · Views: 9

ChipSmith

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 25, 2021
Midland, Michigan
I’m going to try sweetening this to taste and bottling it. Then I’m going to start a one-gallon batch using the Bray’s One-Month Mead recipe. Will let you know how that progresses. Thanx again.

Dan O

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Registered Member
Oct 12, 2020
New Hampshire, USA
I found this tutorial for how to use & read your hydrometer properly . Hope this helps.
Happy meading😎

EricHartman

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 4, 2019
Indiana
try not to rack on a schedule. stir the primary fermentation every so often but don't rack until the primary is completed. When you rack the mead you can lose quite a bit of your active yeast and make the remainder work hard to get things to finish.

PS: the alcohol level on your hydrometer is not a thing to look at. You need your starting gravity, and then your final gravity. then you search google for "ABV by SG" method and there are tons of calculators that will do the math for you.

Reactions: darigoni

ChipSmith

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 25, 2021
Midland, Michigan
My second batch is coming along nicely. Yesterday the SG was down to 1.030 from the OG of 1.083. I was planning on racking to a secondary when it reaches around 1.020. Then l think I’d like to cold crash it; but my question is when cold crashing, must the jug have an airlock or can it be capped? Thanx for your inputs!

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns