• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

mixing/blending 2 different types of honeys?

Barrel Char Wood Products

ComradeThePirate89

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 13, 2012
My recipe:

15lbs Wildflower honey
6 Gal distilled water
2 PACKETS OF LALVIN 71B-1122 “NARBONNE" Dry Yeast
Lalvin Yeast energizer and nutrient (pre-measured out for the recipe from Northern Brewer)

I mixed up 6 gallons total Must, with a OG of 1.095
I realized now, a few days after the vigorous ferm has almost completely stopped, that i added an extra gal of water and didnt adjust the honey ratio. i took a reading (.997 Gravity) and taste tested a sample. it tastes pretty dry (granted it has to age still), and has a slight tongue burn.
I'm planning on adding 3lbs more honey to compensate and make it sweet again hopefully, but all i have is Orange Blossom honey left.

How do you all think the Wildflower and Orange Blossom honey flavors will blend in the final product? im also wondering if i should add the honey and try to restart fermentation, or just add it to the secondary and add some potassium sorbate to stabilize it. Do you think there would be a taste difference either way in the end either?

Oh, and its only a week and a half into the Primary Ferm stage too.

Thanks all! this is only my second batch of mead! :p

Last edited:

Bob1016

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 24, 2012
Coral Springs, FL
Do you like wildflower mixed with orange honey? I would try a mix in about the right ratio on a spoon and see. Personally, I'm not a fan of orange blossom honey (and I grew up and live in Florida!) it's like someone ruined good palm honey by sticking an orange in the jar; but if you like it, like it with the wildflower, do it.
I have no mead experience, I will be brewing my first batch in a few weeks and am going to be using 12lbs palm honey and a few (<3lbs) more wildflower to add some spice to it. I love the mix on a spoon, so it will probably make a good mead. I'll also be using wildflower for back sweetening half the batch.

ComradeThePirate89

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 13, 2012
hmmm Palm honey, that sounds interesting! I thought about creating a sample spoon earlier but i'm all out of wildflower honey now after this last batch :p This one was going to be a sweet mead made with all wildflower honey previously haha. i suppose the honey you use to back-sweeten would stand out alittle more than if it was all mixed up in the must and the yeast pitched tho.. idk. Orange Blossom is the honey i have access to right now for a few weeks. I'm hoping the wildflower and orange wont clash in a bad way

Bob1016

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 24, 2012
Coral Springs, FL
I've been talking to a lot of local honey producers here in Florida and two of them said the exact same thing "we sell orange blossom to the tourist and keep the real treat for ourselves: palm honey". The wild flower might take away from the overpowering orange flavor (if you guys don't think it's there, then no worries) and in my tasting tests I've found that mixing a little wildflower to single varietal honies really adds a lot of depth and complexity.
Homebrew is what you like.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns