• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Mynx's Stout recipe....sort of !

Barrel Char Wood Products

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Hi all,
Since I'm new to the brewing art in general and even more so at beer brewing, please excuse the *no no's* I may have *accomplished* in such an endeavor :-\
I started out with the intention to follow the recipe to the letter but life got in the way.
Instead of 7.5 lb light extract I used 8 lbs because that was the smallest bag the LHBS had. As for the hops, I was supposed to use 1.25 oz and boil for 60 minutes. I personally do not like very hoppy, bitter beers so....I added some hops 15 min. into the boil, then again at 40 min. into the boil and lastly 5 min.before the end of the boil along with 1/2 teaspoon if irish moss. But I'm getting ahead of myself. At the point in the process where I was supposed to remove the grains and dissolve the extract, my dog decided she wanted to play with my mom in the yard and ended up putting my mom down. I had to leave the wort to its own, run outside, pick up my mom and try to stop the bleeding from her nose. Once mom was comfortably set in her bedroom, the bleeding stopped, the knees, mouth and face clean, I went back to my task. By now a good 20 to 30 minutes have passed with the specialty grains in the wort. I removed them, and continued the brewing. I rehydrated the yeast and finally pitched at 8:45 pm. The OG prior to pitching was about 1.057.

To be continued,
Ted

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Hi all,
Jusy checked on this bad boy, it is going at 2 blips/sec.
Here's one thought, specially for Mynx, would you consider dry hopping in secondary?

Ted

Mynx

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 8, 2005
Hey BB!

Gotta love life eh? ;)

Was the water w/ the grains in it boiling for that 20-30 mins? If so you may want to watch for a tannic taste...otherwise it should be fine.

Now, as for dryhopping, that'll give it a major hop aroma from what I understand. Not exactly to style for a stout, but if you think you'll like it, give'er! :D

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Well,
It has finished boiling so I might say it was steeping :'(
I was listening to a podcast today and they were commenting on brewing techniques. They were making the same point about extracting tannins fron the grain skins by boiling/steeping too long. I guess I'll have to wait and see.
Thanks for the reply Mynx, I guess I might call this one *Blood, Sweat and Tears* from mom's bloody nose, my sweating from the running around and the tears from the tannins LOL.
I also think I'll forget about dry hopping, it just sounded soooo cool!!!

Ted

byathread

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 8, 2005
Boulder County, CO
I heart dry-hopping! Not sure I would do it in a stout either, but I love the full-palate explosion you get from dry-hopping. It definitely doesn't add bitterness but a pleasing in-your-face hoppy aroma and flavor. A favorite for APAs, IPAs, Amber, hoppy Browns and Barleywines!

I bet the stout will turn out fine.

Kirk

Mynx

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 8, 2005
Aye kirk, the next IPA I make I think I'll dry hop. :)

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
The bubbling is down to once every 30 sec or so.
I decided to take it easy, let this one be as is and forego the dry hopping (for now).

Ted

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Well,
It's in the bottles!!!!
I primed with corn sugar (4 oz.) and mixed in the syrup with the beer and then bottled. I couldn't help myself so...I helped myself to small sample (I had to go to work) and it is good ;D How long do I have to wait before refrigerating? I'll be happy if I can wait a week ::)

Ted

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
It should carbonate in about 7-10 days (some take a bit longer), but it will still be a bit "green" and will greatly benifit from 3-4 weeks of bottle conditioning.

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Thanks Joe!!
You mean I have to wait another 3 weeks :'( :'( Dagnabit!!! I guess I'll have to wait, fortunately one of the Ancient orange is just about ready ;D

Ted

Mynx

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 8, 2005
First time I made this was April, and it was carbonated in 3 days. It didnt last much longer, hahah...

The second batch carbonated in about 3-4 days as well, and when left (some got left for about a month) was really good. This is a great recipe tho, as it's very drinkable at a very young age :)

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
You're telling me! I took a sip when I was bottling it! It is good.
Thanks for the recipe Mynx ;D

Ted

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Hi all,
Yesterday, 11/19 I took a bottle of stout to the mead event in Riverside. I was curious to see what others think of it, considering that I modified the hops addition. First of all, the stuff is really good and it has been in bottle for only 1 week. Everybody liked it and it was gone very fast. To my surprize, one of the attendees is a beer judge and he posts on the forums at B3. He told me that even though the beer would not fit in the stout category because it still had some residual sweetness,it is very good, has a clean finish, no faults and he would live to drink it all night long ;D
With some more aging it will get better and i should make another batch following the hops schedule as intended. So...in spite of the ruough start it turned out OK, actually better than I expected. Thanks again Mynx, i think this is one of the recipes that will get made alot in the future.

Cheers,
Ted

Mynx

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 8, 2005
Holy cow BB, that's awesome!

I'm glad it's a fave of yours too now... :D

Reminds me, I have to hit the LHBS...

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
A note for Mynx,
The site from www.basicbrewing.com is asking people to post their recipes and i think this one is worthy of a widespread viewing ;D Do you want to post it?
Their podcasts kick a$$, try to listen to them. One of the tips I picked up was from Gerard Lemmens - the hops guru!!! He said to dry hop the secondary but instead of adding the hops directly to the beer, to brew a *Gerard tea*. Put the hops in a pot, add hot water to cover them (the water should be no hotter than 75 deg.C) and steep for about 20 min. Strai and quickly add to secondary.

Cheers,
Ted

Mynx

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 8, 2005
Thanks for the heads up BB...

I've heard mixed reviews about hops tea, but ya never know till ya try it right? ;)

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Agreed ;D
I'm itching to start another beer but I'm affraid I'll mess it up by making it too hopy!!! I might try a 1gal just for kicks.
So.it's OK with you to post your recipe?

Cheers,
Ted

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns