Anyone every made anything like this recipe below? I took the recipe from a message board I read that is not at all reated to mead. Sounded interesting and I was looking for some thoughts.
Can't find a web reference - I got passed it by word of IRC. Note that units are British imperial . Name removed to protect the innocent :
* I took the recipe from the Saga of "Odin and the mead of inspiration"
* took me two years to work out
* this is the party in a month version
* 3 or 4 lbs of honey, cheap stuff will do as long as its pure
* a champagne yeast
* scrape the honey out of the jar into a plastic measuring jug, fill the jar with just off boiling water to dissolve the remaing honey, pour this into the jug and stir with a fork till its all dissolved, add 2 jars of cold water
* pour into a sterilised demijohn
* repeat until the demijohn is 3/4 full
* if the honey/water mix is bloodheat or less, tip in the champagne yeast, fit airlock
* exactly one lunar month later you have a gallon of mead at 12% alcohol
* replace whatever you drink with honey/water in the same proportions of 1 honey to 3 of water
* it keeps going for years with maybe just a few grains of cracked wheat as nutrient for the yeast
* too sweet - wait a week, too strong - add more honey
* drink a couple of pints a week - just keep it turning over, otherwise it gets too strong to be nice