• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Newbie question about evaporation

Argaen

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 12, 2017
I started a mead batch with 2 gallons of water, 8 pounds of honey and two satchets of yeast. Primary fermentation started on May 16th. I racked to secondary today, June 6th.

I only got a gallon and a half, and I see that the mead is a lot darker than my previous batch (see attached picture).

Is it possible that so much has evaporated? It has been hot lately, but not enough to turn the A/C on yet. Or did I simply measured the wrong amount of water at the beginning of the process?

Should I add more water to fill the carboy that is only half filled?

mead.png

Reactions: Mead n Weed

Argaen

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 12, 2017
No idea, I brew without hydrometer.
I'm almost convinced that I only used 1 gallon of water instead of 2 by mistake.

Dan O

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Registered Member
Oct 12, 2020
New Hampshire, USA
No idea, I brew without hydrometer.
I'm almost convinced that I only used 1 gallon of water instead of 2 by mistake.
There is no way you lost that much to evaporation. When racking, you will always lose some, but, not to the tune of 1/2 a gallon.

How do you measure your gravity? How do you know when it's done without gravity readings? 1 pound of honey will give you .035 points of gravity/ gallon.
4 pounds of honey/ 1gallon will give you a very sweet dessert style mead, with a starting gravity of approximately 1.400.
I personally would rack both of them to a larger container, making sure to get as much of the lees as possible, then add water to make 2 full gallons, rack it back into the one gallon carboys & let it sit.
You want the lees because it still has a lot of yeast that will help finish the ferment & clean up after itself. Once you add water, your ferment will likely kick up again.
Without a starting gravity reading, & having so much honey in there, it may need a while, especially if temperature control is an issue.
I would also suggest getting a hydrometer for future use, though. Without a gravity reading, you have no ability to accurately tell where you are in the ferment.

I hope this helps.
Happy meading 😎

Last edited:
Reactions: Maylar

Argaen

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 12, 2017
I don't measure gravity at all. For my previous batches I let it ferment for a few weeks in a large container with a loose cover, waited a few weeks for fermentation to slow a lot, rack into carboys with airlock, wait a few months, rack into bottles and drink.
My plan for this last batch was to use 8 pounds of honey + 2 gallons of water (that works out almost exactly as using 3 pounds of honey and fill with water up to 1 gallon). It fermented strongly the first week, then slowly the next two weeks. I'm still surprised that I got so little after racking, I was expecting to fill those two 1 gallon carboys and have at least a couple pints left over.
I believe now that I made a mistake when measuring the initial water (I was using a 1 pint measuring cup and probably miscounted somewhere) and now I have an extra sweet mead.

Reactions: Dan O

Dan O

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Registered Member
Oct 12, 2020
New Hampshire, USA
I don't measure gravity at all. For my previous batches I let it ferment for a few weeks in a large container with a loose cover, waited a few weeks for fermentation to slow a lot, rack into carboys with airlock, wait a few months, rack into bottles and drink.
My plan for this last batch was to use 8 pounds of honey + 2 gallons of water (that works out almost exactly as using 3 pounds of honey and fill with water up to 1 gallon). It fermented strongly the first week, then slowly the next two weeks. I'm still surprised that I got so little after racking, I was expecting to fill those two 1 gallon carboys and have at least a couple pints left over.
I believe now that I made a mistake when measuring the initial water (I was using a 1 pint measuring cup and probably miscounted somewhere) and now I have an extra sweet mead.
Gotcha. Best of luck. Keep us posted

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns