• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Possible re-invented Falernian??

Rotafire

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 7, 2014
Since I am portraying a Roman persona, I would like to see if I can re-invent/re-create Falernian (type) wine for consumption at events. I thought a white grape pyment might be an appropriate and fun drink for this purpose.
I found the below recipe, and thought I might modify it a little.
5 gallons:
Ingredients
9 lbs honey
Four 12oz cans white grape juice concentrate
5 tsp yeast nutrient
1/3 oz grap tannin
2 1/2 oz malic acid
Sauternes yeast
Boil honey and water until it stops foaming, then add remainder of ingredients except yeast, and turn off the heat. Let cool and pitch yeast when approx 70-80 degrees F.
Rack into a secondary after one month. After 2 more months, rack again and taste. At this point, I found it dry and so added 1 lb of honey to the 5 gallon batch. After 2 more months, rack again, and taste. if you like, bottle it, otherwise let it sit some more.

I thought instead of the Sauternes yeast, I would use D47, K1v-1116, or a champagne yeast. And I would not boil the honey. I would probably mix the juice concentrate with a little water and boil that. Perhaps add some white raisins for the extra sugars. Cutting this down to a 1 gallon test batch is another idea.
If it is a little rough, meh. More a high ABV%. It probably won't be aged the 15-20 years like the original was, so to get the darker amber color, I figured on using a dark honey.
Any thoughts or recommendations?

Bob1016

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 24, 2012
Coral Springs, FL
You can make an estougha (can never remember how to spell that word) and cook it like mediera. Or you could let it sit in a half full container to oxidize like a sherry.
Medsen has a thread on here about a medeira style mead, and having tasted it, I can say it works very well.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I've intentionally oxidized a batch or two to get that sherry-like quality.

A 1-gal test batch is a really good idea when you're fine-tuning a recipe. Make sure you keep good logs! :)

Oh, and leave out the malic acid until fermentation's done, then decide if you need it for taste... You'll come to know soon enough that early acid additions are a component of "unenlightented" (old!) mead recipes, which follow the thought that you need to add acidity to make it be like grape juice, not recognizing that honey has its own acidity and that adding more can get you into trouble with stressed yeast (sulphur smells) and stuck ferments.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Well, to be really authentic, you might track down some aglianico grapes. Technically, I think it was made with grapes but not honey, though I suppose they might have used some to get the gravity up. You probably want to aim for 15+% ABV.

You can definite get the Madeira character by using an estufa. If you search the term "Meadeira" you'll find a thread where I describe the process in the Patron's meadlogs.