• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Question about fruit wines?

African Bronze Honey - 50% off for GotMead members

Ty520

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2020
a fan of wine,and now that I have the mead bug, I'm curious to try fruit wines.

Was hoping someone could share a reliable,simple and versatile (ie, works with various fruits) recipe?

The recipes I have found online so far online seem to be all over the place. Although one of the better reviewed recipes I could find was a bit intimidating: multiple rackings, and lots more hands on management than mead.also Sounds like they need much longer before they become palatable?

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
What fruit catches your fancy? Recipes are for cooks. Wine (or mead) making does not really involve a recipe. If you are talking about a mead, you select the honey that you think will go well with the fruit you want to showcase and you decide what yeast will best work to bring out the flavors you want given the conditions you will be fermenting in - and then you decide whether you want the alcohol to extract the flavors from the fruit (in which case you add the fruit to the secondary) , you want the yeast to be at its most active when it ferment the sugars in the fruit (and so you add the fruit to the primary ) or you want a bit of both (fruit that is added to the secondary tends to taste brighter in the finished mead. If you are simply making a wine - not a mead you can still add fruit to the secondary: the alcohol in the secondary is a better solvent than water in the primary when it comes to extracting flavors.
All that said, most fruit has a starting gravity of about 1.045 (+/- 5 points) , so the least amount of water you add the less you dilute flavors. Most fruit has pectins and pectins cause haze so you might want to add pectic enzyme about 12 -24 hours before you pitch the yeast. Most fruit expresses more juice when you thaw fruit from a frozen state (the ice crystals burst cell walls); and rather than add sugar to fruit to up the gravity you might consider simply expressing the juice and then slowly thawing the juice that you then freeze. If you carefully collect about 1/3 of that juice this will contain virtually all the sugar and flavor so your gravity will have hit about 1.090

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
I feel wine grapes take longer than other fruits to come good from my experience

Reactions: mannye

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
you might consider simply expressing the juice and then slowly thawing the juice that you then freeze. If you carefully collect about 1/3 of that juice this will contain virtually all the sugar and flavor so your gravity will have hit about 1.090
That's a neat trick! Going to try this with mango!

Reactions: bernardsmith
African Bronze Honey - 50% off for GotMead members