• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Racking and Sanitizing advice?

African Bronze Honey - 50% off for GotMead members

BlueBomber

NewBee
Registered Member
May 16, 2014
I've heard a lot of people use cheesecloth when they rack to help reduce the amount of sediment that is siphoned out. I was wondering what the best way to do that is? I have an auto siphon and was thinking of just cutting a small piece of the cloth and using an elastic band to hold it on...is that way too crude? Obviously I would sanitize both the best I could, but I wasn't sure if there was a better way.

bmwr75

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Oct 2, 2014
Northeast Mississippi
I have used just the auto siphon every time I've racked (except once) with good success. The one other time I was racking JOAM off the fruit and yeast cake and did just as you suggested, covered the end of the siphon with some cheese cloth held in place by a rubber band, this worked out well for me.

valverij

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Dec 5, 2014
Cleveland, OH
I've done this a couple of times. I just boiled a square of cheesecloth and a rubber band for about 20 minutes, wrapped it around the end of the siphon, and racked. I boiled it because I didn't want the cheesecloth to absorb a ton of extra sanitizer that could get into my mead. I'm not really sure if it would make a difference, though.

EJM3

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2013
The Boozevarian Village of Leavenworth WA
Boiling is a bit of a pain, so I usually sterilize everything I can with vodka, it is flammable as Medsen has pointed out, but has the advantage of being neutral, while killing on contact any nasties. 20% alcohol will do the job so 40% alcohol vodka will definitely do it. IME YMMV

African Bronze Honey - 50% off for GotMead members