• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Sca in Washington state

Barrel Char Wood Products

Valhalla Mead

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 12, 2012
Just wondering if there are any people in the greater Seattle/tacoma area who participate in the Sca here. I'm opening a Meadery starting next January and will be operating mead halls at various events.

TwinMustang

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 8, 2014
Southwest BC, Canada
Well, love to see that this thread got some attention! Not technically near Seattle/Tacoma, but my Shire, Fjordland, is just north. If you're still around the forums/area let's chat!

TM

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago area formerly Netherlands
Forgive my ignorance, but what does SCA stand for?

It's all about Kingdoms, and knighthood with combat, and cooking, and medevil role playing.... Fun stuff. All the good things from the middle ages, without the diseases, starvations, slaughters and other nastiness. A lot of fun. Have been a fringe member from time to time. However, folks here in Europe not really interested in it, any more than Americans would have much interest in barn raisings or quilting bees.

Honeyhog

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 6, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Society for Creative Anachronism

Ahhh. Borrowed a tunic, dagger, belt and chain mail shirt from a SCA member for halloween one year, I had my own 4 foot broadsword. By the end of the night I had bruises on my shoulders from holding up the weight of the mail.

Honeyhog

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 6, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Did anyone catch those jousting shows on History Channel last year? They use real pine lances not the balsa ones used in medieval dinner shows. They aren't tipped with steel balls but are still hardcore nonetheless.

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Alas, I am really disappointed in History Channel over here. So rich in history, but they Air the pawn shop crap, and motorcycles and garbage....now and them a WW2 show. Very disappointing. They have better stuff in their archives....I don't know why they don't use it.

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I know some of the guys from Full Metal Jousting. At one of our local events (Knights of Valour are in the area three or four times a year), they let me up on one of their horses (Gulliver) in my full plate armour. I'm so glad I didn't try it with any of the horses I work with, I ended up not being able to dismount! Gulliver was far more patient about it than any of the horses I work with would have been...

And yeah, they really are hitting each other, and everyone holds their breath when someone's unhorsed until the guy's on his feet. And I've seen the results of the armour bites and shoulder injuries.

Jousters are a little touched in the head. And this is coming from someone who fights in armour. And who doesn't often bother with a saddle when riding horses. Kudos to them, but I wouldn't do it! :)

Unfortunately I can't bring mead (not legally anyway) to any of our local public medieval events. If my friends are any indication, there would be a big demand... The local SCA branch does have some meadmakers, although I don't know any of them personally and I'm not a member, just good friends with a few past and current members.

Honeyhog

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 6, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Alas, I am really disappointed in History Channel over here. So rich in history, but they Air the pawn shop crap, and motorcycles and garbage....now and them a WW2 show. Very disappointing. They have better stuff in their archives....I don't know why they don't use it.

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.

Ya I am sick of all the reality shows. I don't mind a bit of Pawnstars, Moonshiners or Counting Cars but when that's all it is enough already! I am looking forward to season II of Vikings at the end of February though. The Hatfields and the McCoys, Rome, Deadwood, Museum Secrets, The World After People, Trashopolis, all quality shows. More of that, less of the reality crap.

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Most of that originated on HBO....Deadwood and Rome, at least. Loved both of those.....esp the soliloquy by Sweningen while one of his....well, I thought it was finny as hell....the Europeans over here didn't though.....

Honeyhog

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 6, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Most of that originated on HBO....Deadwood and Rome, at least. Loved both of those.....esp the soliloquy by Sweningen while one of his....well, I thought it was finny as hell....the Europeans over here didn't though.....

That soliloquy was great, hahahahahaha. I think my favourite was the just before fight between Davey and that other big guy when he's preparing and rubbing bear grease all over himself right down to the jewels to be more slippery and hard to get a hold of, pretty cagey. Anyone you want to get rid of Mr. Wu would feed them to his pigs for $5, hahahahahaha.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns