• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

short question regarding my calculations

African Bronze Honey - 50% off for GotMead members

Corvus

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 12, 2006
18
0
0
44
Hi all,

on the 21st of Jan. I started another (my third now) basic mead. The first I wrote about has turned out fine after all - was worried it might have gone wrong at a point. It is now bottled, corked and labelled and has turned out a treat.
The second is still ageing and will be bottled soon.(it was made in June 2005)

For the third I decided to take it a size larger than before.

Now to my question,...

I started off with 11 kilograms of Honey which I dissolved in water.
Made a starter with Lalvin EC-1118 which I added after a short 5 hours as it was going well. In total it makes an amount of 22 litres of must.

Sadly my cat managed to break my hydrometer - my own fault really - she moved something else and that triggered a few other things in the shelf and crash. Oh well - bought a new one!
This means - no SG at the start.
My reading on the 31st of Jan. came to 1.090 SG.

So I plugged the data into the mead calculator and hope I got this right...
The SG at the beginning would have been 1.153. Fermenting to the end would theoretically bring me to 20.86 %ABV.
With the hydrometer reading of 1.090 (after 10 days - I am impressed) I would have had 12.06 %ABV at the time of the reading.

Correct?

If so, I need to monitor closely now as I want to get it to 16isch %ABV max. as EC-1118 will go quite a way and I don't want to run a tractor with the stuff.

My thoughts regarding this batch are to divide it into 3 portions and leaving one of them basic.
The other two I will experiment with. Something along the lines of adding flowers of Tilia platyphyllos or an extract of them in the secondary.
When I get the feel for basic mead I will start playing with other ingredients in the primary.
But for now I am mainly trying different yeasts and methods for the basic meads.

Thanks for any help, clues, criticism,....

Greets

Corvus
 

JamesP

Senior Member
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 3, 2003
654
1
0
53
Brisbane Australia
The SG=1.153 is correct.

0.5 Kg honey per Litre is high. 0.4 Kg/L is more normal (for future reference)

1.153 down to 1.090 means 63 gravity points eaten by the yeast (1.063 is about 8% Alc in the must currently). The 12.06% is still to be converted to Ethanol by the yeast.

You could add water to reduce the %Alc down a bit, say for SG=1.110 (14.9% Alc) instead of 1.153, then with 11 Kg you need 30.4L to give SG=1.110, so add 8.4L (approx 8L) to the must.

Or, stop the yeast when the SG is 1.020 if you want some residual sugar (that would make it an 18% Alc mead).
 
African Bronze Honey - 50% off for GotMead members