• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Starting to ferment again?

Barrel Char Wood Products

smokepole

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 16, 2013
Hell, Michigan
cyser
Its been down to 1.0 for about a month.
It has been outside in 20f in a plastic carboy overnight(didnt freeze)
Its finally clear
its still1.0 and bubbles are starting to rise again.
Its been racked a few times and there is just a lite dusting of stuff on botttom
Lite dusting , can still see table under bottle

what kind of late activity am I getting?

smokepole

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 16, 2013
Hell, Michigan
About 1.13, note still missing
empty pack of 1118 on table
current grav 1.
Thought I got rid of all that gas with the electric drill last month.
it is 68f in computer/mead room.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
If you're warming it up from near freezing, then it is likely just releasing gas, cold must can hold a lot more CO2 than warm must. And degassing usually takes a couple days of concerted effort for me :)

Bee Serious

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 10, 2011
I have to admit, this is the first year I have had meads come back to life or start degassing. Before that, I had no idea what people were talking about.

Now I get it. I feel dumb.

WVMJack

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 12, 2013
Karnage, WV
www.wvmjack.com
I am planning on putting some of our cysers through MLF, our wildling apples a little high in acid, we like tart apples and dont want to loose to much acidity. We went nuts and make a BOchet with striaght up crab apples, TA 1.8% about, diluted with some regular cider but MLF has got to come to our rescue. Have you tasted it and noticed any drop in how acidic it tastes, is it getting smoother? Is this to soon to ask? WVMJ

smokepole

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 16, 2013
Hell, Michigan
Have you tasted it and noticed any drop in how acidic it tastes, is it getting smoother? Is this to soon to ask? WVMJ

Smoother?
My nose doesnt work well, while everyone else gags on skunk I barely notice. My tasters seem to lag the rest of the world also.
I'm only going to claim dry, with a aftertaste. Similar to a double ipa beer.

Since I've just finished bottling 6 gallons , was thinking putting a gallon in frezzer till its half froze and tasting the liquid again.

smokepole

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 16, 2013
Hell, Michigan
It held at .995. Wasn't gassy (whipped it with cordless drill). Put it in plastic gallon bottles. Froze it solid. Thawed then poured it off the sediment and bottled it. Gave it away for Xmas.

Pulled a cork yesterday. Well actually only half pulled it before it flew out. Its not quite as carbonated as beer yet. But its developing some pressure. Have warned everyone to refrigerate it, and drink it soon.

Where d all that gas come from.????????

smokepole

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 16, 2013
Hell, Michigan
the more it carbonated the better I liked it. Small champagne type bubbles.
Now if I wanted to do this again on purpose, how would I?

All the bad bottles are gone now. B U R P

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
You can prime the batch and bottle it in beer bottles. I used to use priming sugar (one cup corn sugar dissolved in one cup boiling water) for 5 gallons of beer. It should work for mead as well.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns