• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Stinky Fermentation in Primary

KrisB

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 25, 2020
Really having trouble with my first batch of mead (all documented in my Mead Log forum thread). Here is the recipe and what's going on:

2.5 lbs Clary sage honey
1 gallon water
1 packet K1-V1116 yeast
1.5 tsp Fermaid K up to now

Today is the 5th day since I started the batch and ever since a couple days ago when a foam appeared (I'm told that's fermentation), the liquid has had a bad smell. I think it's a sulfur smell, but I'm not sure. Almost like a bad fruity smell. No matter what I do (aerate every day, added bread yeast yesterday), it still stinks. Also, there have been no bubbles in the air lock at all up to this point. The gravity had gone down from 15 Brix originally to 12 yesterday. I don't have a thermometer, but the temp in my house has been between 63 and 65 F the whole time.

Medsen Fey has been very kindly and patiently helping me, but I wanted to ask if anyone else had any suggestions on what to do. I'm worried I'm going to have to toss out the batch. Not the end of the world, I know, but I'd hate to start all over again not knowing what I did wrong and repeating the same mistakes.

Skropi

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Apr 5, 2020
Did you rehydrate the yeast? And if yes, at what temp? Also, at what must temperature did you pitch? I cannot answer, but people here will ask all this info and more.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
You need to stir the shit out of it acouple times a day to try and get the smell out before it become stuck to the mead. And,you need to feed it more nutrients

KrisB

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 25, 2020
No way to know what temp I pitched at, Skropi, unfortunately, since I don't have a thermometer. The water felt almost cool/lukewarm. Yes, I rehydrated the yeast.

How much and how often should I add the Fermaid K, Squatchy? I added 1 sp yesterday, started stirring it 2 times a day. The fruity smell is not so strong and the foam looked better this morning. Added another tsp Fermaid K and aerated. Will aerate again this evening.

I have no way to check the pH. And I broke my hydrometer yesterday. Can't check the gravity now. Ordered 2 hydrometers and a thermometer.