• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Strong orange blossom, pushing it for sweet

• Thread starter drink_of_smiles
  • Start date
Barrel Char Wood Products
D

drink_of_smiles

I didn't see an introduction forum, and there probably isn't a need for one. If you are looking for this simple recipie, scroll down past the following.
I've never been one to brew to match a style, but here is the first mead I have completed and aged properly. By age properly, it was 7 years to the day. Brewed Mid-Winter (February 02) 1997, enjoyed beginning Mid-Winter 2004.
Mid-Winter 2004 was a crappy day, not only late on taxes, but three months behind on mortgage. Something clicked and realized it was the seventh anniversary of brewing the two remaining bottles. I went to my pantry, and looked at the bottles and decided it was time to try one. I scrubbed my chalice with salt and water to remove some of the oxidation, which had not seen a drop for a couple of years. Silver when I bought it, it had turned a shade of gold. The moon was shining bright, high overhead. It was cool outside, but I managed to pour a glass wearing only sleeping clothes under the moonlight, and watched the reflection of the moon in the shaking ambrosia meditating on it for a few minutes. I went inside where it was more comfortable, sat back in my recliner still trying to rid myself of the tension of the day.
I brought the chalice to my nose and swirled it, glad to detect the prevalent orange blossom nose, mixed with a slight butterscotch scent and the obvious ethanol fumes, almost like single malt scotch.
I released a breath and took a sip.
There was still a butterscotch taste to it which caught my attention and worried me. I took another and it wasn't a fault at all. The third sip, the heavy, velvet brew rolled over my tongue - and it was good. Laughter, loud laughter, bellowed from me. I felt tension surrounding me shatter as if a god had destroyed it, feeling the crumbling fall to the ground around me. I laughed many times that night, and since it was a 1.5 liter bottle, I've been laughing for two more nights.
The meaning of life, I don't know - but this drink was obviously meant to be a part of me.
Since then I have switched to a wine glass, watching the fingers linger for a full minute if not more.
I only bottled one gallon, between pint bottles, 750 ml bottles
and this one.

To end with one gallon (please always brew more than one gallon) I used this as an approximate recipe.

2 lbs orange blossom honey
2 lbs clover honey
1 oz of the dark blueberry extract that was available
years ago (this required much aging, and not sure
flavoring remained after aging.)
WYeast Sweet Mead yeast
1 tsp Fermax yeast nutrient
Spring Water
Polyclar at second racking

The honey and water were heated to a boil briefly, covered and allowed to cool in a sink of cool water. The yeast was pitched with the berry extract. This was racked to a 5 liter primary, leaving little room for krausening - guess not enough.
Then racked to a 1 gallon secondary, and finally to a third when I thought fermentation was about done - probably three months. Polyclar was all I had to help clarify which was added at this point. A few months passed before bottling.

After seven years, it has a somewhat dry finish by the end of a glass despite using the sweet mead yeast.

The first three bottles seemed wasted at this point. This one is just right - other than I am finishing my last glass. The last bottle won't last, I just want to find a cute nymph to enjoy it with.
It looks like most meads don't need to age this long - this one did.
I never checked sg, any ideas of where WYeast sweet mead yeast would have left the remaining sugar content and alcohol content? Doesn't matter - I just hate to think of waiting so many years to try to match this.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns