• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

The great Iodophor Taste Test

African Bronze Honey - 50% off for GotMead members
Etowah Meadery - Drink Unique

Rezzin

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 15, 2006
Great read Oskaar. Nice to know I no longer have the 'need' to drain my carboys for 20 minutes after sanitizing!

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Yeah, it's pretty wild to think that you really can't tell until the concentration is up very much higher than it would ever be for santizing purposes.

Whenever someone starts running their yap about how they can taste sanitizer, or taste if the mead has been fermented in plastic primaries, or taste sulfites or any of the other claims I've heard over the years I challenge them to a blind tasting to see just how well they really do. Never had a spot on winner thus far.

Blind tastings are great for killing off preconceived notions/biases/predjudices that people have about certain things ranging from types of wines to storage vessels, cooperage etc. It's also great for shutting up people who think they know what the hell they're talking about when they really don't! I personally love blind tastings because I get a chance to really dig down deep into what I think I know and see if it's real or not. Many times it is, and it seems like there are plenty of times when I have to re-asses what I think I know.

Cheers,

Oskaar

African Bronze Honey - 50% off for GotMead members
Etowah Meadery - Drink Unique