• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

TOSNA and session meads

Barrel Char Wood Products

Grigori

NewBee
Registered Member
May 4, 2020
I’m making my first ever session mead, inspired by root beer recipe.

It has a OG of 1.052, and I’m following a TOSNA nutrient protocol. I wonder with the much lower OG than meads I’ve made previously, is it likely that the usual 24, 48, 72 hours for staggered nutrient additions may not be as reliable, and if the 1/3 break may happen a lot sooner with less sugar the go through?

Or by starting with smaller amounts of yeast, does the timing end up similar to a higher OG must?

I’d not normally measure the gravity for several days, but wondering if I perhaps should so I can’t adjust timing, in case I go to measure in a week and find it’s already well past the 1/3 break.

Foothiller

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Apr 1, 2015
Sierra Foothills, CA
Depending on your type of yeast and fermentation temperature (for example, wine yeasts often having higher temperature ranges than beer yeasts), your fermentation temperature may go much faster than 24, 48, and 72 hour steps. When my time permits, I measure the specific gravity at least daily and adapt the nutrient additions based on the mead’s progress. My time around things like work might mean that I do this in the evenings, rather than being able to hit specific attenuation targets. I might target a nutrient addition at 10% attenuation, but after 24 hours it might already be at 15% or more, and doing it then still produces a good mead. I don’t reduce my amount of yeast based on the mead’s strength (given that I do not go beyond the “standard strength” range).

Grigori

NewBee
Registered Member
May 4, 2020
Depending on your type of yeast and fermentation temperature (for example, wine yeasts often having higher temperature ranges than beer yeasts), your fermentation temperature may go much faster than 24, 48, and 72 hour steps. When my time permits, I measure the specific gravity at least daily and adapt the nutrient additions based on the mead’s progress. My time around things like work might mean that I do this in the evenings, rather than being able to hit specific attenuation targets. I might target a nutrient addition at 10% attenuation, but after 24 hours it might already be at 15% or more, and doing it then still produces a good mead. I don’t reduce my amount of yeast based on the mead’s strength (given that I do not go beyond the “standard strength” range).
Thanks heaps Foothiller, I’ll measure each day at least then and see how we go!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns