• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Trouble finding 1 gal glass jugs

African Bronze Honey - 50% off for GotMead members

F0E-Hammer

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 22, 2008
Is it possible to make a smaller batch in a 5 gal glass carboy, such as a 1 or 3 gallon batch? Or would that ruin it completely???

I'm really eager to start a batch, but I don't know if I have everything... I take my perfectionism from my mother, it drives me crazy sometimes LOL!

jjwtay

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 6, 2008
I can't really speak from experience but it seems that many people have done exactly that just proportionately scaled the recipe down of course. And idk if your question actually involves finding 1 gallon jugs but I've been getting mine( getting ready for a little experiment) by buying 4L(~1gal) jugs of Carlo Rossi.

jjwtay

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 6, 2008
Do you mean doing a 1 gallon recipe but in a 5 gallon carb (i.e. a shitload of airspace)?

F0E-Hammer

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 22, 2008
That's exactly what I'm saying :p

See, heres the deal, I have 1 6 gal bucket (food grade) and 1 5 gal glass carboy, but no 1 gallon glass jugs...

jjwtay

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 6, 2008
Still don't see y u don't just go spend 6 bucks on a 1 gallon jug of carlo rossi and solve ur problem.

F0E-Hammer

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 22, 2008
LOL, first reason being I'm only 19 and my parents are prudish... Next, I was going to grab the last 1gal jug of applejuice at the nearby general store but someone snagged it.... "Adventures in Meadmaking: The PRELUDE!" think it would sell? :laughing4:

Yo momma

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 14, 2007
Flint, Michigan
Try going to a glass recycler and see if you can find any there. Sometimes there boxes of them waiting to be crush. Save the boey's! :laughing7:

F0E-Hammer

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 22, 2008
I was just now thinking that! HAHA, ya my stepdad told me to check out the recycle center but I guess I didn't keep it in my memory log, lol, thanks man!

jjwtay

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 6, 2008
well with what u said it seems somehow they're ok with u making mead but not ok with purchasing carlo rossi for the jug 4 u ? just ask them to buy it then dump it if u really r that desperate. Idk several people mentions trader joes too for some apple juice u get there that comes in 1 gal containers.

beachfrontmeadman

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 15, 2008
www.myspace.com
making a 1 gal batch in a 5 gal carboy is not recommended, too much head space means that you run the risk of over oxidizing your batch, having it caramelize and basically become undrinkable

F0E-Hammer

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 22, 2008
I was afraid of that, guess I'll just have to be patient and keep lookin LOL :laughing7:

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Look in your local Trader Joe's, Whole Earth, Wild Oats, Henry's, etc. for the glass one gallon apple juice jugs. You get some mighty fine apple juice, and a one gallon glass jug for fermentation in the process.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Preliator

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 15, 2006
JMO here but what i did was drive around my local area on recycle day after the holidays and found about 30 1 gallon galliano wine jugs....
also if you know anyone in a local resturaunt that sells house wine in caraffes you may get lucky.
I have also put an ad on my local craigs list for wine jugs and bottles came across a load of grolsh and flip top bottles... good luck hope it helps
anthony

Teufelhund

Banned
Oct 17, 2007
POX 181 Covington, OH 45318
Hey guy,

Just my .02 worth, but putting 1 gal in a 5 gal carboy is like throwin' a weiner down a hallway. Go out and buy a gallon of cheapo $12 gallon Gallo red or white, poach the snot out of a few lobsters or an oysters munier and have a few friends over. VIOLA! Party + gallon jug. :icon_thumright:
Use a 6-1/2 drilled stopper.

:cheers:

DD

Amoryl

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 18, 2008
man hearing this makes me glad my local (well millwaukee) brewshop constantly has 4pack boxes of glass gallon wine jugs for $.60 each bottle. not sure where he gets them but every time I've gone in he has 6 or more boxes full of em.

I'm also somewhat currious as to how you have a 5gallon carboy, a 6gallon food grade jug, and are looking for a gallon jug (though I'd get 2, so you can rack easier) so you can homebrew mead, yet your mom won't let you get a cheap gallon of wine. does she know what you're planning to do? personally I wouldn't do this behind her back and risk being caught.

African Bronze Honey - 50% off for GotMead members