• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Viking equipment

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Check scrapyards and such, the last thing you want to do is try to cut open a freshly-emptied tank with any possible fumes in it. We had a high school shop class fatality not long ago here. Please be careful... and these might not be food grade. You never know what might leach into your wine from anything metal, especially with how acidic things get. I know you can get stainless steel stock pots quite commonly up to about 3 gallons, and I've seen them bigger, that might be a safer alternative even if not quite as accurate.

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
Check scrapyards and such, the last thing you want to do is try to cut open a freshly-emptied tank with any possible fumes in it. We had a high school shop class fatality not long ago here. Please be careful... and these might not be food grade. You never know what might leach into your wine from anything metal, especially with how acidic things get. I know you can get stainless steel stock pots quite commonly up to about 3 gallons, and I've seen them bigger, that might be a safer alternative even if not quite as accurate.

+1

Fill the tank with water, then use 'cold cut' tools only. No matter how old the tank is. Then take a monumental amount of care. It is dangerous, yet doable.

veritas

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 7, 2007
Wisconsin BEER Capitol USA
I was speaking of a much larger tank like the ones used for propane for whole cabins. They are massive and was only thinking for something of large size. Otherwise I would without a doubt use a nice large pot.

DethScribe

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 5, 2011
Kentucky

Thanks for the link! That is now part of my e-book collection.

I think I'm going to forego the propane tank in favor of something more conventional. If I'm lucky, I'll be able to talk someone into forging a period cauldron for me, and just use that.

I got two quarts of honey from a bee keeper in Carlisle. Going to use that for my Viking brew. He also gave me about 3-gallons of fermented honey that I need to figure out what to do with; but I'll post about that in another thread.

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns