• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Which BJCP Mead Catagory should I Enter Under??

phish_on2k

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 4, 2019
Mid- Coast Area of Maine
hi all....long time lurker...first time poster

Super bummed most all mead comps have been postponed or canceled...did find out that there is one going on this year as planned...i have made a Mango Habanero Mead....crazy delicious...not sure i want to part with it but I feel it will place cuz its that tasty. I would also like to have it critiqued by impartial judges to find out if i am on right track for taste. Not sure which category to enter it under.
M2D: Stone Fruit?
M3A: Fruit and Spice??
M3B: Spice, Herb or Vegetable???
M4C: Experimental????
There is no specific "Capsumel" entry for competition. I also have a Maine Apple Cyser and an Orange/Cranberry/Cinnamon(f-ing great!) To enter as well...

Anyone have a category suggestion for the Mango Habanero?

Foothiller

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Apr 1, 2015
Sierra Foothills, CA
I agree with fruit & spice. Your description has both, so it could be judged out of style as either fruit or spice by themselves. Experimental generally is for recipes that don’t fit elsewhere, and this does fit in fruit & spice, at least as far as you described it. Best of luck, and I hope the judges find it outstanding!

phish_on2k

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 4, 2019
Mid- Coast Area of Maine
Thx guys! I really appreciate the feedback...my thought was Fruit & Spice ...but some consider peppers a vegetable and bjcp description at least to me...is a little vague

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
Not quite to your question but in my opinion competitions are really more to get feedback on your work. Judges are human and their personal preferences and biases influence their choice of medalists but that is very different from the scoring sheets that highlight strengths and weaknesses - so a judge who dislikes peppery meads may still score you well in all the critical categories but not assign you to a "win, show or place". and , the thing is, that if what you get is fulsome praise then you may not work harder to make a better mead. It's much like the golfer who scores a hole in one but who regularly plays with more handicaps than a golfer with no arms.

Foothiller

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Apr 1, 2015
Sierra Foothills, CA
We haven’t tasted your mead, so it’s hard to give a definitive answer. One factor could be whether it has a vegetal character. The BJCP guideline refers to peppery phenols in Fruit and Spice, and chile peppers in Spice/ Herb/ Vegetable. But if it has vegetal notes, since it has fruit then it might go in Experimental, where you should include a brief but descriptive explanation of what to expect.

phish_on2k

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 4, 2019
Mid- Coast Area of Maine
Thanks for the input! BernardSmith; I enjoy entering competitions provided that I have something I feel could make the cut. Friends and family always tell me that it's good or it's kind of good I always tell them there is nothing you can say that would hurt my feelings please be honest and tell me why it is good or bad. I definitely would like to hear 3rd party opinions of my meads so that I can gauge that my own taste buds are correct or incorrect. My concern was if I entered under the wrong category that I would be marked down points for that. I just wanted to be correct. And if I happen to place that's even better!
Foothiller; Funny you should mention vegetal, for the 1st month of this batch I thought I ruined it using fresh cut mangoes and and a Habanero split in two...left in for 2 weeks... It smelled/tasted terrible and "grassy"! After racking over and letting it sit for another month I half heartedly tried a taste and it was fantastic! The vegetal note had completely disappeared it was very clear smooth you could smell the spice mingled with the fruit but it was not so spicy that it gave you heartburn. Just a great spicy tingle on your palette That disappears quickly making you want more.... In fact after talking about it I'm not sure if I wanna give it up! Ha! I had tried a newMethod by creating a 5 gallon traditional splitting it up into 5 different batches and putting fresh fruit and spice so far I am very happy with the results!
Apologies for the long winded post I don't really have anyone in my area that Makes mead...so i rarely talk shop! OK I'm off to go pick wild Maine blueberry as in my backyard have a good one all!

Foothiller

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Apr 1, 2015
Sierra Foothills, CA
Enjoy the adventure! Besides having several times as a judge when my feedback included that I would have scored an entry higher in a different category (which I have suggested), your discussion reminds me of once as a competition organizer, a beer entry had scored very poorly due to being in the wrong category. The entry did not include a description, and it was not entered in a specialty category where judges would get descriptions other than the BJCP guideline. But from the brewer’s name for his beer (which the judges never see while judging), I could see what it actually was. After sampling it to validate that extreme scores were appropriate, I added a note that it would have done well in a specialty category and why it was mis-guided where it had been entered — but of course did not change the judges’ notes or scoring. Although that example was a beer, the same applies in meads. That said, having my share of awards, I do value the judges’ feedback more than the scores, knowing that despite good intents, judges’ preferences do affect their scoring.