• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Wreck Alley Clone - turned braggot

The Only Mead Competition Judged by Real Buyers

Get_Wiggly

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 4, 2014
Volume 5 gallons

Extract
9.5 lbs. Extra light DME

Grain
12 oz. flaked oats
12 oz. pale two-row
5 oz. C60L
5 oz. C80L
5 oz. roasted barley
5 oz. debittered black
You'll need to use a mini-mash because of the flaked oats. Quick oats will give easier results - plain rolled oats have to be cereal mashed. The crystal malts are at a lower level than you would expect since extract has crystal in it.

Hops
1.0 oz. Brewer's Gold, FWH
1.0 oz. Brewer's Gold, 20 minutes
1.0 oz. Brewer's Gold, 10 minutes
1.0 oz. Brewer's Gold, 5 minutes
I don't know anything about how it smells or tastes, so I used Brewer's Gold as a good, flavorful hop for stouts. Incidentally, I would expect an RIS to be closer to 50 IBU than to 25.

OG 1087, FG 1022, IBU 26, SRM 32.

Coffee beans & cacao nibs 2 weeks before bottling

This is a thick, chocolaty drink. Coats the mouth with black yum, very little bite, and just a beautiful brew. I wanted to try converting this into a braggot, but I'm worried that any honey flavor may throw off the deliciousness, or will make it TOO complex. Not sure if I'd like to risk it and I'm not up to $ for testing out two batches!

If you've got a chance to try this brew - do it! You won't be let down.

For those who like chocolaty stouts, do you think a braggot chocolate stout would be a worthwhile venture? And if so, how would one convert this above recipe to fit, I suppose the easiest way is to just add honey...

Last edited:

Midnight Sun

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 13, 2010
Anchorage, Alaska
I have a few ideas for you to consider. Your original recipe looks really good, so I intend to bookmark it and give it a go sometime soon.

You might try making this a honey beer before jumping up to a braggot. Reduce the DME by 1-2lb and add 1-2lb of honey. In return for a more complex beer, you'll dry it out somewhat. Maybe OK, maybe not.

Another idea is to use caramelized honey in place of the regular honey. I attempted this myself, but the batch got infected :mad: Been too busy to try it again. I figure the caramelized flavors would play well with the roasted flavors, but don't know for sure.

If you do want to simply convert this to a braggot, then consider using 4.5lb DME and 5lb honey.

The Only Mead Competition Judged by Real Buyers