• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

YouTube: Making a Burnt Mead Recipe from 1593

African Bronze Honey - 50% off for GotMead members

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois

Mars Colonist

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 25, 2010
Mars, obviously
www.facebook.com
I made a one gallon batch (clover boiled 40 minutes) that is year old and I think it turned out well... I have a big batch on deck to rebrew (its one of the next two I do)... I have no idea on the history.

Last edited:

mmclean

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 22, 2010
Tennessee Valley
I think this is the recipe;

A mead recipe from Le Menagier de Paris, c. 1393

"BEVERAGES FOR THE SICK - BOCHET To make six sesters of bochet take six pints of very soft honey and set it in a cauldron on the fire, and boil it and stir it for as long as it goes on rising and as long as you see it throwing up liquid in little bubbles which burst and in bursting give off a little blackish steam; and then move it, and put in seven sesters of water and boil them until it is reduced to six sesters, always stirring. And then put it in a tub to cool until it be just warm, and then run it through a sieve, and afterwards put it in a cask and add half a pint of leaven of beer, for it is this which makes it piquant (and if you put in leaven of bread, it is as good for the taste, but the colour will be duller), and cover it warmly and well when you prepare it. And if you would make it very good, add thereto an ounce of ginger, long pepper, grain of Paradise and cloves, as much of the one as of the other, save that there shall be less of the cloves, and put them in a linen bag and cast it therein. And when it hath been therein for two or three days, and the brochet tastes enough of the spices and is sufficiently piquant, take out the bag and squeeze it and put it in the other barrel that you are making. And thus this powder will serve you well two or three times over."

(Translation found in Eileen Power's The Goodman of Paris, 1928, pp. 293-4)

Marshmallow Blue

NewBee
Registered Member
Do you burn all the honey you're going to use? I'm interested in trying this out. I'll pick up a cheapo pot from IKEA or TJ Maxx since i know it will probably ruin the pot for anything but burning more honey. The guy in the video says it smells like burnt marshmallows. I wonder if any of that will come through in the final product. Could be nice with some vanilla beans and cinnamon (but what isn't nice with them?)

phineascoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 10, 2013
Do you burn all the honey you're going to use? I'm interested in trying this out. I'll pick up a cheapo pot from IKEA or TJ Maxx since i know it will probably ruin the pot for anything but burning more honey. The guy in the video says it smells like burnt marshmallows. I wonder if any of that will come through in the final product. Could be nice with some vanilla beans and cinnamon (but what isn't nice with them?)
I am also planning to make this at home eventually, and we known that the process of burning the honey it can cause bad taste. Therefore, I want to have any idea or any thought so that I could really apply this in own way and I want some clarification regarding for the process of making this.

WVMJack

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 12, 2013
Karnage, WV
www.wvmjack.com
There are a couple of ways to caremalize honey, one meader suggested using a crock pot for about 4 hours, that works well for small batches at a time, we have also used a pressure canner for up to 90 minutes and got a very nice caramel flavor without any burning flvaors that is turning into a nice mead, and using canning jars the juice stays in the jar so you dont get it splashed on you trying to thin it out in the end. WVMJ

African Bronze Honey - 50% off for GotMead members