• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Chilled or Room Temp

Barrel Char Wood Products

paulda

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 17, 2022
Sunland, California
I brewed 5 bottles of mead this March, and I'm ready to share them with my family over the holidays. Should they be served chilled or at room temperature?

4give

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 1, 2018
Montrose, CO
I brewed 5 bottles of mead this March, and I'm ready to share them with my family over the holidays. Should they be served chilled or at room temperature?
Hi,
You may have already enjoyed your meads, but I guess New Years is coming too... IMO, it really depends on the mead, and the person. I have one mead that is not my best result ever, but certainly still enjoyable. I found it was better slightly chilled. I enjoy most of my Trads at just about room temp.
You may have a mead that tastes good chilled, and at room temp, but definitely tastes different depending on the temperature. That said, experiment and see how it goes.
:)

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I prefer most beverages at room temperature, the only things I want chilled as a rule are carbonated. But as stated by others, it depends on the mead, and the drinker. I sometimes test it out by chilling a bottle, then trying it chilled, then letting it sit out a few hours and warm up, then trying it again. Keep notes on it so you get to know your preferences!

And something I like doing with my less than stellar meads is mulling them, if you don't have mulling irons, the microwave will do the trick, adding spices is optional :)

paulda

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 17, 2022
Sunland, California
Hi,
You may have already enjoyed your meads, but I guess New Years is coming too... IMO, it really depends on the mead, and the person. I have one mead that is not my best result ever, but certainly still enjoyable. I found it was better slightly chilled. I enjoy most of my Trads at just about room temp.
You may have a mead that tastes good chilled, and at room temp, but definitely tastes different depending on the temperature. That said, experiment and see how it goes.
:)
Thanks. I tried it chilled, and it was delicious. This was my first mead. Mostly, I was glad it didn't taste like lighter fluid.

4give

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 1, 2018
Montrose, CO
As with everything, cold causes your taste buds to taste less.
Hey! It's probably just me, but lately, it seems a slightly chilled mead brings out more of the oak. I don't necessarily taste less, but the oak seems more pronounced. Obviously, that can impact the balance of the mead on the palate.

Reactions: Squatchy

4give

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 1, 2018
Montrose, CO
Thanks. I tried it chilled, and it was delicious. This was my first mead. Mostly, I was glad it didn't taste like lighter fluid.
Glad it turned out well for you. That's always my first test for success --> my wife and I have to like it :giggle:

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns