• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Graff (Cider, malt and hops)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Zem

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 14, 2005
Ok, so kind of a cider and kind of a hydromel, but I mashed grain to do it and it's under 9%

I stumbled across this a while ago and made a little test of it, I think it was a real winner.
This is my second run. I wanted to experiment with leaving some sweetness in form the grain and choosing a low acid citrus hops and sweet orange peel to hopefully hint at a kind of orange cream note.
Because this one is my experiment batch I also fortified with a little honey, got to find out what I like before I make 10 gallons of it....

Recipe as follows.
scaled down from a 5 gallon format, so some measurements are weird

1 gallon apple cider
11 oz oat malt
.1 oz New Zealand Pacific Hallertau (aka pacifica) hops
.2 oz sweet orange peel
3/4 lb honey

Safeale US-05 yeast
1/4 tsp amylase
1 tsp pectic enzyme

process

steeped grain in about a half gallon of water for 90 minutes, trying to keep it at around 158 with mixed results.
at points I definitely did exceed my heat, at one point I got distracted and the water actually came to a good hard simmer at 180, at that point I decided that even though and iodine test showed some was un converted I would just have to call it a day.
Boiled mixture down to about 3 cups to keep room for my yeast starter.
Boiled hops for 15 minutes, boiled sweet orange peel for 5 minutes.
cooled some (didn't take long, it was small) and added to 1 gallon cider in 2 gallon fermenter.
Mixed in honey, amylase and pectic enzyme, hopefully it will convert my remaining starches.

FG 1.066 (8.7 pabv)

active fermentation started this morning, but I dont think I'll need to add anything extra to this. I'm just going to let it ride.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns