• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Meadery for sale in Western Australia

Barrel Char Wood Products
J

jdgood

Just noticed that one of Western Australia's Meaderys is up for sale...There's a link on the front page of their website:

http://www.bartholomewsmeadery.com.au/index.html

In case anyone is interested.

Denmark's a pretty nice place to live as well (that's the town, not the country ... although the country might be good as well but I've never been there ::)).

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Nope. My sister lives there and she's amazed at the lack of guns. We're all meat hunters in my family so she's used to having them in the house and locked down safely.

Like G Gordon Liddy said "Since I'm a convicted felon I'm not allowed to own guns. But, my wife has an extensive collection that she keeps under my side of the bed!"

Cheers,

Oskaar

J

jdgood

We've never maintained a right to bear arms or anything of the sort down here (actually, I am not sure we have many official rights protected by law or constitution). So you've got to have a very good reason to own a gun ... ie, farmers can get a gun license since they need them to kill vermin (foxes, rabbits, kangaroos) and, occasionally, livestock. Professional shooters can obviously own guns. Apart from that I think you need to be a member of a gun club to get a license ... and absolutely nothing semi, or full, automatic.

Hunting's not that big down here anyway - also, its easier to kill kangaroos with your car than a gun (more expensive though ;)). There's also a lack of things to point at, we don't have deer or anything of the sort to shoot at (kangaroos, rabbits, foxes, the occasional wild pig, goats - that's it I think?).

It is kind of nice to know that if you get caught up in an armed robbery chances are the guy will only have a knife, screwdriver, syringe or bat of some sort.

Teufelhund

Banned
Oct 17, 2007
POX 181 Covington, OH 45318
What's more interesting, which jd didn't mention, is that now the crime rate has sky-rocketed. Last year there were mass riots all through the country where Muslims and Arabs were attacking the whites. The Vietnamese and other Asians are vehemnently anti-Oz. Oz restricted citizenship to 3 catagories: 1) you married an Oz citizen 2) you came there to be a Dr, teacher, biologist, etc... 3) or you came from an impovershed country. So naturally we got flooded with a bunch of turd world criminals on the run. But then again, Oz has the same type of leaders America has so it's no wonder the Rights that are and should be commonplace are being restricted.
"Big Yellow Taxi" was a song way back in the 60's and the chorus went "Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone" . Listen to that and go read "1984" by Orwell. Yes, I'm that old. :cheers:

M

J

jdgood

Well, I wouldn't say mass riots all through the country ... Some of the southern coastal suburbs of Sydney certainly got "a little inflamed" :argue: It does seem true though that we have quite a number of "recently arrived Australians" who don't quite view our land, culture and society the same way the longer term Australians do.

As for rising crime rates ... that's going to happen anywhere when you take cops off the street - I can go weeks driving around without seeing a cop car sometimes.

As for eating lots of fish ... oddly enough yes I think we do ;D Mind you, we have no shortage of sheep & cattle to chew on as well - from what I understand though they just don't make good hunting game :toothy10:

butterlily5

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 23, 2008
Somewhere in Sacramento...
I have to mention this: Texas has the lowest violent crime rate in America, and a dramatically low accidental death rate due to firearms, and happens to have more firearms per capita than any other US state. Coincidence? I think not!

Johnnybladers

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 13, 2006
butterlily5 said:
I have to mention this: Texas has the lowest violent crime rate in America, and a dramatically low accidental death rate due to firearms, and happens to have more firearms per capita than any other US state. Coincidence? I think not!
Someone else noticed that more firearms doesn't automatically equal more crime or deaths? Wow, if we could only get some of our politicians to comprehend that.

Teufelhund

Banned
Oct 17, 2007
POX 181 Covington, OH 45318
It's not for the bought-and-paid-for politicians to decide who legally owns firearms. It's OUR choice and Right. If we left it up to the gliberal politicians we woulds all be disarmed and helpless at the hands of the thugs who don't follow the law in the first place. Look at the UK and Oz! They lost their gun rights and now look at them!! It's pathetic! It's up to the normal, average Joe and Jane to stockpile as many weapons as ye can! Remember Orwells "1984"?? Well, it ain't far off volks! Don't be naive!
The topic was originally on a meadery for sale. Politics and the discussion will undoubtedly lead to disruption. I therefore digress upon the mods wisdom to accept or delete/edit this post.

DD

beninak

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2007
Anchorage, AK
Re: My state is bigger than your state =P

butterlily5 said:
I have to mention this: Texas has the lowest violent crime rate in America, and a dramatically low accidental death rate due to firearms, and happens to have more firearms per capita than any other US state.

That is a popular misconception, but Alaska actually has the highest per capita gun ownership in the US. And I believe Maine is second. Texas has too many city slickers that pull down their numbers.

Arjan

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 22, 2007
jdgood said:
Just noticed that one of Western Australia's Meaderys is up for sale...There's a link on the front page of their website:

http://www.bartholomewsmeadery.com.au/index.html

In case anyone is interested.

Denmark's a pretty nice place to live as well (that's the town, not the country ... although the country might be good as well but I've never been there ::)).

hmmm tempting... the misses already packed her bags :)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns