• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

New evidence of 'Nordic grog' discovered in Scandinavia

Barrel Char Wood Products

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Well done Doug, I couldn't do that as I seem to spend too much time with my smartphone these days, making the cut and paste of links hard work......

Suffice to say that given the prevalence of "I want to make stuff like the vikings" comments and questions, mainly from your countrymen who inhabit the world of ren' faire, I applaud anyone who's happy to pi55 on the bonfire of all the Hollywood nonsense that seems to surround meads (though sometimes it can help too......)

I'm all for anyone who want to try and mimic such beverages, but if that's the case then they should be trying to get the "correct" ingredients.......well IMO anyway.

Keep up the good work my friend :D

joemirando

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
My $0.02 worth... a good mead is a good mead. If somebody wants to try to replicate what was in Schmuglyl's mug 6 or 7 hundred years ago, more power to 'em. The history of mead making seems to be spread out across both chronology and geography to such an extent that you could probably put just about anything in the pot and have it similar to somebody's ancient recipe. Its an interesting study in armchair gastroarchaeology, and I'm all for experimentation. Hell, just as if people didn't try new things there wouldn't be hardly any progress a'tall, if people didn't try old things there wouldn't be any appreciation at all. My ears don't perk up until I hear/read "oh man, ya gotta try this one!". <ggg>

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns