• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Pale Sour (all grain)

Barrel Char Wood Products

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Another second runnings sour, sort of. Took the leftover mash from this Pale Ale and added 2 lbs Pilsner malt and 2 lbs white wheat malt with additional water. 1/4 oz Fuggles mash hop. Mashed for another hour.

Ran directly into the fermenter, no boil. Once it cools I'm adding a very old starter, which hopefully is still good, of White Labs' Berliner Weisse blend.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
I wound up with a little over 4 gallons. About a gallon of that was leftover water in the mash for the pale, and the rest was water I added with the additional grain.

Forgot to mention also that the mash temp for both was 150F.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Wow, it's been months. Forgot about this one a little, but pulled a sample today. Not very sour at all. :mad: I will contemplate how to fix that.

YogiBearMead726

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Francisco, CA
You could try pitching some of your favorite sour dregs? I've heard good things about Russian River Consecration and Jolly Pumpkin.

Good luck finding any Consecration right now, unless you've got some stashed away. They're on Supplication right now...no telling when another batch of Consecration will be ready.

And FWIW, I think Jolly Pumpkin is more deserving of support. The guys at RR are kind of dicks...

Sorry for the thread jack! Gotta agree with Marshmallow though; toss in some funky dregs and let the good times roll! Orval works well for a slightly brett-y character.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Jolly Pumpkin is good but I don't find their stuff all that sour. Maybe the sour stuff isn't sold here? I feel like the lineup here is pretty darn similar to what I got in CA. I can't get RR here at all, which is tremendously sad. I would kill (a woodland creature?) for a bottle of Beatification, or heck even Temptation.

There are a few nice sours I can get here, but they run $20 and up for a split. :eek: I've dumped lees from a few of the more reasonably priced ones into the dark rye sour batch, but again none of those were particularly puckering. Gah! My wife suggested using yogurt, which I've done in the past, and it's starting to look more and more like a good idea.

I wonder if any of the New Belgium sours make their way here. I'll have to look around.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Yes I've been to Ommegang. I thought it was *in* Cooperstown, but it turns out it's actually a bit (like 8 miles) out of town. I didn't actually look up the location, and some of the signs were missing. Found it eventually. ;D I enjoy about half the stuff they sell in the local stores. Some of the things you can get at the brewery were darn good though. Not sure when I'll make it out that way again...

I'm seriously considering just bottling this one. It's not bad, and I could use a light beer for summer. We'll see how motivated I get to clean extra bottles after the IPA is done.

I suppose I'll have to try setting a few bottles of Jolly Pumpkin down. I usually end up drinking them within a few months of purchase.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns