• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Rediscovering a forgotten one

Barrel Char Wood Products

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Some job changes in recent years have slowed down my mead crafting, but there was a time when I was making so many batches I could (and did) lose track of one. If this has never happened you, then you just aren’t making enough mead! ;D

I was moving some stuff in the attic when I ran across a keg that I had forgotten about. It is a Meadeira batch that I never created a mead-log for, and in fact, we were still calling them ‘brew-logs’ when it was started early in 2010.

This was a batch made with orange blossom honey and Uvaferm 43. It pushed to 18-19% ABV, with a final gravity of 1.045 and was oaked with both a light and a medium toast American oak spiral. It was Estufa-treated at only 115F and splash racked a couple of times, before I put it in the attic in 2011. It has been quietly heating and cooling up there ever since.

I racked it today. It had the usual ‘coffee-ground’ lees I’ve come to expect. The mead is dark amber and clear. The nose smells like honey-nut bourbon, with clear rancio character and with strong alcohol and some fusels notes. On the palate it is full and smooth with no alcohol burn, and has fruit notes on the attack with a long honey finish.

I think with decanting the bouquet will improve, but I could not tell this is orange blossom honey. Now my sniffer is not the most refined so someone else might be able to identify the honey type. However, after doing this with several types of honey including buckwheat, goldenrod, and orange blossom, I don’t think a lot of varietal character can survive the heating and oxidation process. One might get just as good a result using the cheapest honey around. Nevertheless, the results are delicious.

I may try a few more traditional batches to see if anyone can distinguish the honey used. In any case, it was a pleasant surprise to have this old friend turn up in time for the holidays!

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
I followed your Estafa batch closely Medsen. How lucky to find an extra keg in the attick. I hope to find a spare barrel laying around here someday. If I do, maybe we can swap a bottle. ;)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns