• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Transition to Beer

Barrel Char Wood Products

chiashurb

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 12, 2005
I've been brewing mead for about a year now (so I have one batch still aging, and have made JAO twice and a couple of other quick recipes), and I'm intersted in making some beer this fall. Before I dive in head-first and clueless like I did with mead a year ago, can somebody recommend a good resource or two for beer-brewing basics? I'm looking for both theory and technique, something along the lines of Ken Schramm's "the compleat meadmaker," but for beer. I think a web primer would probably be fine, if there's a good one out there, since I'm sure a lot of the basics transfer.

Good recipe sources also appreciated.

kace069

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2004
This link is to the Book How To Brew by John Palmer. I haven't read it cover to cover. After reading some of it onli9ne I bought the book when I was making the transition from an extract brewer to an all grain brewer. From what I have read it is a great book and a must have IMHO for the new AG brewer. He offers the entire text on line for free and has made a big contribution to the community with it, another reason why I bought the book.
He has just released a 3rd edition.
I would defenitly suggest checking this site out. Everything you need to get started brewing is there. If you enjoy what he has put out for free I urge you to purchase a hard copy to show your support.
I wish I would have waited another month or so before I bought mine so I could have gotten the 3rd edition.

http://www.howtobrew.com/

It is both easy reading and full of technical information. Of all my brewing books this one is the best and I rank it right up there with The Compleat Meadmaker. A must have.

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Chiashurb,

I agree with kace on that link. Excellent resource. What I would also suggest is to find your local home brew store and go in to pick the brains of the owner. Brewers are always eager to spread the knowledge and you will pick up an amazing amount of information by just talking to the experienced (much like mead and this community).

As for a very short list of recipes out there:
Morgans Brewing
Stout Billys
HomeBrewMart
BYO
Cats Meow
GeoCities

Good Luck Brewing,

Angus

Dwhite

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 31, 2005
Someone at the local homebrew store will be happy to have you come over and watch the process. You'll probably get more through this experience than all the reading you could do in six months especially if you're thinking about doing all grain. Also, you will probably be offered samplings of some tasty homebrew.

All the Best,
Doug White

chiashurb

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 12, 2005
Thanks for the book recommendation!

I owuld love to pick the brains of my LHBS owner, except that my LHBS owner is the local microbrewery, which also owns a bakery chain and residential rentals here in Ithaca. None of the people who staff the store know much about homebrewing--they can talk about their beers, but they speak from an afficionado's perspective, not that of a brewer. I've had them ask me on more than one occasion, "what's that for, anyway?" or "so how do you actually make mead?" (granted far fewer people make mead than beer, so I don't hold the latter question against them)

kace069

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2004
See if their is a local homebrew club. I have to agree you will learn much more by watching. I unfortuntly don't have that opprotunity, so the learning curve for all grain brewing can be a little steep.
Here is a link to the AHA on the left side of the page is a link to a homebrew club finder. Your LHBS may have a club associated with it you should ask.

http://www.beertown.org/homebrewing/index.html

Mynx

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 8, 2005
I'll chime in to recommend How to Brew as well. Its how I taught myself to brew early last year, and I've been going strong since (to the detriment of my meads even!)

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
I have to agree with all the advice given so far, Palmer's book is great. You might try checking out podcasts:1. http://www.basicbrewing.com/radio/ it has a lot of good info for the begining brewer as well as step-by-step DVD's for extract and all grain brewing; 2. http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/ much more entertaining with loads of info- look in archives (or iTunes)for the shows- check out the forum for a lot of great help and if you can, check out the live shows on Sundays at 5pm, log into the chat room and ask your questions live; 3.Check out the Jamil show from TBN (the brewing network).

Hope that helps,
Brewbear

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns