• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

UC Davis 2014 Mead Making Short Course - From Honey to the Shelf

Barrel Char Wood Products

brian92fs

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jul 24, 2011
Sacramento, CA
Is anyone planning to attend the mead course at UC Davis in February? The discount for early registration is still a ways out (Dec 15). Curious if anyone from GotMead is going. I'm probably going to go, but haven't signed up yet.

WVMJack

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 12, 2013
Karnage, WV
www.wvmjack.com
My short course is much cheaper, you have to bring a bottle to get in, plenty of room in the basement to sleep among the carboys and you can get a tour of a research Wineyard full of all kinds of experiments. Ever see anyone prune a walnut tree like a peach tree to get more walnuts to make mead with? Bring some tools and you can even get to work out in the Wineyard :) I think GOTMEAD is more of an advanced course, at least there are more teachers :)

WVMJ

Bob1016

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 24, 2012
Coral Springs, FL
Seems interesting, if only I lived in CA and/or didn't have a newborn. I hear that Michael fairbrother (moonlight meadery) is writting a book on opening a meadery, but I don't know when that's coming out. It seems that mead is in its infancy in the US (like the beer scene in the 70's), but has a promising future.

jjwebb

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 16, 2008
Ferndale, CA
I'll be there!!!

The class filled up quick!! I called in a couple days before the discount deadline and it was already filled! I was lucky though, as some kind person dropped out and I got an email from the admin the next day and was allowed to register! I'm so excited!!

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
The class filled up quick!! I called in a couple days before the discount deadline and it was already filled! I was lucky though, as some kind person dropped out and I got an email from the admin the next day and was allowed to register! I'm so excited!!
Be vvv interesting if you could post how it went etc, what type of info/guidance was included or whether it turns out a bit "monkey see, monkey do".......

brian92fs

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jul 24, 2011
Sacramento, CA
I interested as well. I was going to sign up, but decided against it. We're starting a kitchen remodel, so the price tag for this class was a bit too high.

NoBeard

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 2, 2013
Fredericton, NB
We're going to be there, all the way from New Brunswick in Canada. Flying out of Manchester, NH so will very likely drop in at Moonlight again on the way by.

NB

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago area formerly Netherlands
Vicky went. Said she would post some here. Check the gotMead Facebook page too.

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Vicky went. Said she would post some here. Check the gotMead Facebook page too.

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.

Seems like GotMead has also been infected with Vogon poetry. Dude! Control that Nexus!:D

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
My favorite Marvin moment was when he spent untold eons on that planet walking in circles. I cried laughing as I read his account of how he spent his time.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago area formerly Netherlands
As you can tell, when Marving talked to the space ship, and it got so depressed it killed itself....fav of mine

Sent from Arthur Dent's towel smothering a volume of Vogon poetry, some of which just leaked out.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
The whole series has so many great lines. "Oh no. Not again." Priceless. Time to read them again!

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns