• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

A starter

Barrel Char Wood Products

Efepli Barosab

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 1, 2021
Brazil
Recently, for the first time, I heard about mead. I got interested and started researching about it, but got stuck in what books I should read, or any other ways to get more knowledge. Any recomendations?

EricHartman

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 4, 2019
Indiana
click the link in my signature below. It will lead to a "blog" on this site where I have collected a ton of info. The BJCP judging guide and the got mead podcast series will lay an amazing foundation!

TresK3

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 5, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
To paraphrase a homebrewing guru: relax, don't worry, have a mead.

I don't know about books, but read the posts here, buy some honey and make a batch of Joe's Ancient Orange (also known as JAO on the forum, and elsewhere). Keep it as simple as possible to begin with. Start with a one-gallon batch, that way if it goes south, you haven't lost much.

Remember, humans have been making mead for literally millennia without hydrometers and pH meters and fancy carboys.

rb2112br

Honey Master
Registered Member
Mar 27, 2018
I don't know about books, but read the posts here, buy some honey and make a batch of Joe's Ancient Orange (also known as JAO on the forum, and elsewhere). Keep it as simple as possible to begin with. Start with a one-gallon batch, that way if it goes south, you haven't lost much.

Personally, I love a good JAOM, even if it is a bit sweet, but keep in mind, making JOAM will NOT teach you anything about mead making. If that is all you ever want to make, then print off the ingredient list and instructions for making it, and you're done. If you want to learn how to make a good mead, you're gonna have to dig deeper (the link in Eric's post above is a good place to start).

Dan O

Honey Master
Registered Member
Oct 12, 2020
New Hampshire, USA
I agree with all of this advice . I also think HomeBrewTalk.com mead forum is another great learning resource. I have bought several books so far & I have learned WAAAY more on these 2 forums than I have from any of my books combined. The problem I have with the books is, most of the time, they are the experience of one person. I'm not saying books are bad or that I or anyone else can't learn from them, but, the experience of that author is only a small piece of the knowledge to be included in the arsenal of mead making. Yes, you get the experience of said author, but, on the forums is where I, personally, have gained most of my knowledge.
Search the forums!!!
There is a whole world of knowledge on here & HomeBrewTalk.com. People are willing to answer questions & help when they can.

This is also a good read.

I hope this helps.
Welcome to the (very addictive) hobby of mead making.;)
Happy meading:cool:

Reactions: Efepli Barosab
Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns